Old 22-03-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default water snakes

One of my more interesting rec.ponds
exchanges happened with Elizabeth in
Louisiana. We were both on AOL so she
sent me an instant message about a snake in
her pond.
We surfed the web trying to id it (not a
cottonmouth, whew!) and then *we* decided to
trap it.
She put together a minnow trap, with a live
goldfish (not for the faint hearted). She made
sure to leave the minnow trap with some part above
water and she watched it. She did catch the snake
and released it to a nearby waterway.
We supposed the snake did not like the experience
and did not come back to repeat it.
I've heard harassment works (if you have the time)
and clearing out the rockwork so they don't have
hidey holes.
Netting works, just don't get a mad snake caught in
the netting, which happens from time to time.
My personal solution would be to RUN THE OTHER WAY
AND DON'T STOP UNTIL YOU GET TO IRELAND.
But then I have a sorry and sorted history trying to deal
with a snake in our house. I did not come out of the situation
with any dignity attached.
kathy :-)

Old 22-03-2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message ...

brevity snips

I've heard harassment works (if you have the time)
and clearing out the rockwork so they don't have
hidey holes.
=============
Removing some of the plants from around our ponds and the dense row of holly
bushes against the house may be the reason we don't see as many snakes
around the ponds now. But like possums and raccoons.... when you remove one
another comes along and takes it's place.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-03-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message ...

I've heard harassment works (if you have the time)
and clearing out the rockwork so they don't have
hidey holes.

I have snakes that live in the water. They rest their heads on the
water lilies. They swim off when they see people. They seldom ever
come out of the water. There is no rock work or other place to hide.

We have drained this pond several times and removed all frogs, fish and
snakes. For some reason they quickly come back when we refill the pond.
Even fish come back. A state fish officer said that fish eggs get
carried on the bodies of the frogs. A soon as the frogs get started,
the snakes start coming. It is like one huge terrarium. Everything
eats something else. The snakes eat each other.

The overflow from our spring fed pond does flow into a creek about a
half mile away. The creatures must follow the water up the hill to our
pond.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Rate This Thread: