Old 27-03-2007, 09:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Once A Year Fertilizer

Hi Jim,
There is still a little ice in the veggie filters and the water celery is already starting to show growth. The iris's are
also starting to green up - but that's it.
Today it's almost 80° so I don't think the ice will be around much longer! The shady areas of the yard still have snow.
Bonnie
NJ
Old 27-03-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 27, 2:36 pm, "Bonnie NJ" wrote:
Hi Jim,
There is still a little ice in the veggie filters and the water celery is already starting to show growth. The iris's are
also starting to green up - but that's it.
Today it's almost 80° so I don't think the ice will be around much longer! The shady areas of the yard still have snow.
Bonnie
NJ

BonnieDo your irises do the job for you? Mine don't grow fast enough
to pull nutrients. They do have nice root systems. I go with celery
and hyacinth because of the massive growth and root systems.

Jim

Old 27-03-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I always hoped the fish produced enough
waste to make all the lilies happy. No such
luck.
We put in three tabs per lily this year and that
will have to do it. We made the mistake of
making the pond too deep and you have to
drain it down a bit and put on waders to get
to the baskets.
Having a rigid handle on the baskets might work
to reach them easier.
With us it will be building a better thought out
pond with the next house that will do the trick.
(Next house a long ways off...)
k :-)

Old 27-03-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

brevity snip

BonnieDo your irises do the job for you? Mine don't grow fast enough
to pull nutrients. They do have nice root systems. I go with celery
and hyacinth because of the massive growth and root systems.

=======================
Try the common yellow Louisiana iris. They're much larger and faster
growing than the others. Their roots are large and go out on every
direction. They do well in plain gravel. At least that's been my
experience.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-03-2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 27, 6:04 pm, "kthirtya" wrote:
I always hoped the fish produced enough
waste to make all the lilies happy. No such
luck.
We put in three tabs per lily this year and that
will have to do it. We made the mistake of
making the pond too deep and you have to
drain it down a bit and put on waders to get
to the baskets.
Having a rigid handle on the baskets might work
to reach them easier.
With us it will be building a better thought out
pond with the next house that will do the trick.
(Next house a long ways off...)
k :-)

My lilies definitely suffer from lack of nutrients and it's not for
lack of fish waste! Last year I didn't fertilize at all and only
had three or four blooms the entire season.
I plan on adding some new lilies and trying the Once A Year
spikes.
Bonnie NJ

Old 28-03-2007, 03:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mar 27, 5:57 pm, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:
On Mar 27, 2:36 pm, "Bonnie NJ" wrote:

Hi Jim,
There is still a little ice in the veggie filters and the water celery is already starting to show growth. The iris's are
also starting to green up - but that's it.
Today it's almost 80° so I don't think the ice will be around much longer! The shady areas of the yard still have snow.
Bonnie
NJ

BonnieDo your irises do the job for you? Mine don't grow fast enough
to pull nutrients. They do have nice root systems. I go with celery
and hyacinth because of the massive growth and root systems.

Jim

I don't know. I don't have any in the veggie filters now. They are
in a seperate bog. It was a thought to add them to the veggie filter
this year.

Rate This Thread: