Old 29-03-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Hi All, we finally did it!!

We reconfigured the ponds this week. We've meant to do something for
the last few years as the stream from the upper pond to the lower has
been leaking. We tried urethane foam, still leaked. Now we are
good. Started out with the little 3 basin stream hard plastic piece,
down to the upper pond(for plants and our resident bullfrogs) and into
the big 11 X 17' koi pond. It looks so nice, but we're not done yet.
We had friends give us some timber bamboo to make a fence out of.
That is the next big project, then landscaping. It looks bare now
because of the soil we had to move to reconfigure. But it isn't
leaking.

All our fish came thru looking good, and everybody has been up to eat,
voraciously, I might add.
After cleaning the filters yesterday we know the pea soup will go
away. We also salted the pond to help out the fish and kill algae. We
are now excited about the pond again.

How did all of you make out with your ponds over the winter? Our
winter was mild in Delaware.

I am so glad we have a ponding and not trolling group again. Thanks to
all who facilitated that feat.

Nan & Rich

Old 29-03-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Olde Hippee wrote:
All our fish came thru looking good, and everybody has been up to eat,
voraciously, I might add.

After cleaning the filters yesterday we know the pea soup will go
away. We also salted the pond to help out the fish and kill algae. We
are now excited about the pond again.

How did all of you make out with your ponds over the winter? Our
winter was mild in Delaware.

my "huge" (50gal) pond made it thru the Maryland winter it appears, the
fish, both of them, seem to be fine and eating. yesterday after work I
pulled the heater and put the filter back in and cranked it up to get
working, pulled the plants off the bottom and reset them on their shelf.

two minor issues, the Water Hawthorne bloomed in January and doesn't show
any signs of doing it's "Spring thing" so hope it survived the sudden
freeze we got in Feb. (weird weather) and the filiment alge is gone insane
this winter, tried scraping and winding as much as I could and then some
algecide, which means cleaning the filter 80 times this month. but
hopefully I can get it under control.

not sure about fry, these two goldfish are doing the mating thing but have
never actually laid any eggs, but even when I had a few more fish they
never laid any eggs that I ever noticed, maybe the pond is too small and
they know it, but in any case I have some broken brick in one corner with
lots of good hiding places for them if they ever decide to show
up... Don't know for sure how old these fish are but I have had them 4
years now and they are about 6-8 inches, but I got them from another
pond'er.

take care
Bob

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
VISTA SOFTWARE, DESIGNED TO RESTRICT WHAT YOU CAN DO. www.badvista.org

Old 29-03-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Access Systems" wrote in message
not sure about fry, these two goldfish are doing the mating thing but have
never actually laid any eggs, but even when I had a few more fish they
never laid any eggs that I ever noticed, maybe the pond is too small and
they know it, but in any case I have some broken brick in one corner with
lots of good hiding places for them if they ever decide to show
up... Don't know for sure how old these fish are but I have had them 4
years now and they are about 6-8 inches, but I got them from another
pond'er.

50g is so small they probably ate any eggs they laid. They need something
like hornwart to lay their eggs on. Your filter may have sucked in any fry
that hatched.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.