Old 12-04-2007, 04:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Algae Wanted

Yep I'd like to grow some Algae on the new patch work of my concrete pond
to help hide the differences in color between the new and old concrete
Any ideas on how to speed up the process would be helpful

TerryinTexas

Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I once saw a show where they wanted the
whole liner to turn green. They put down the
basic black liner and then covered it with a white
felt fabric. The whole thing turned green all the
way up the sides and out of the waterline.
I expect the white felt was lined with something
to keep it in one piece.
It looked really good when it was all green and
disappeared into the rockwork.

k :-)

Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have heard that with "fake rock" water features that are sold here (New
Zealand) they recommend if you want an aged, weathered look to brush it with
plain Yoghurt, it promotes the algae growth.....

wrote in message
Yep I'd like to grow some Algae on the new patch work of my concrete pond
to help hide the differences in color between the new and old concrete
Any ideas on how to speed up the process would be helpful

TerryinTexas

See what's free at AOL.com.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If you are in Texas like I am, I find that water and Texas sun equals algae
very quickly. Unsure if it would help but I can send you scrapping of my
pond algae to seed your pond.
Dan

Old 13-04-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

RichardB wrote:

I have heard that with "fake rock" water features that are sold here (New
Zealand) they recommend if you want an aged, weathered look to brush it
with plain Yoghurt, it promotes the algae growth.....

There's a recipe somewhere for moss, that suggests mixing some moss with
yoghurt and covering the rock with it. I imagine it would work with algae.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 13-04-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

RichardB wrote:

I have heard that with "fake rock" water features that are sold here (New
Zealand) they recommend if you want an aged, weathered look to brush it
with plain Yoghurt, it promotes the algae growth.....

There's a recipe somewhere for moss, that suggests mixing some moss with
yoghurt and covering the rock with it. I imagine it would work with algae. Derek

Since the kind of algae the OP is looking for lives under water, I
would think the fish would LOVE algae mixed yogurt, and wouldn't
last long. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-04-2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

mix moss with buttermilk and coat rocks. Ingrid

Rate This Thread: