Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-05-2007, 10:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Do Ponds Need SOMETHING that Burgeons?

As a new comer to ponding, a couple of weeks ago I asked on this group if I
really needed to buy oxygenating plants for my new 6m x 5m fish-less
wildlife pond. Unfortunately no one with a similar pond replied and most
responders were ambiguous on the matter. So I have decided to leave well
alone and not get the oxygenators.

The pond is very health with clear water. But after recent heavy rain the
blanket weed has increased massively. It occurred to me that maybe the real
answer to my question may have been that every pond needs something
burgeoning to absorb nutrients. That something may be vigorous
oxygenators, large numbers of marginals, algae, blanket weed, duck weed,
etc.

So although the oxygenators may not be needed to provide oxygen; they would
be beneficial in absorbing nutrients and preventing the growth of things
that are generally not appreciated.

Does this make any sense?

cheers, Davy

Rate This Thread: