Old 28-05-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Blanket Weed Vanished Overnight

My wildlife non-fish pond was about a quarter covered in fairly attractive
floating blanket weed. Last night we had about 25mm of rain and strong
winds. This morning all the surface blanket weed is gone. Anyone know what
might have happened to it? It has not been blown to any one corner; and
besides it was a bugger to shift since it held tight to the other plants.

thanks, Davy

Old 28-05-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 28 May 2007 08:00:27 CST, "Davy"
wrote:

My wildlife non-fish pond was about a quarter covered in fairly attractive
floating blanket weed. Last night we had about 25mm of rain and strong
winds. This morning all the surface blanket weed is gone. Anyone know what
might have happened to it? It has not been blown to any one corner; and
besides it was a bugger to shift since it held tight to the other plants.
thanks, Davy

My guess, the pH on the surface changed drastically, causing the blanket
weed to sink or die? What is the pond's natural pH & buffering (KH)?

Sometimes, all of a sudden, just as algae comes, it spontaneously
disappears. Though I've always thought that was just suspended forms, I'm
hopefully if it applies to SA/blanket weed also. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-05-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This morning the blanket weed has come back again. I think what happened it
that the strong wind and rain dislodged the gas bubbles, that were buoying
up the blanket weed, so it sank. Since then it has produced more gas
bubbles and risen to the surface again.
So is blanket weed an oxygenator?
cheers Davy

om...

Old 29-05-2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

All plants produce oxygen turning the daytime.

Algae, which is what filamentous algae, or blanketweed,
is part of, is estimated to help produce between 70
and 87% of the world's oxygen that we use so I guess
we should treat it with more respect ;-)

I like anacharis the best of the underwater pond
plants. Far prettier than any of the other plants
but can be hard to get ahold of depending on where
you live.

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 29-05-2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
ups.com...
All plants produce oxygen turning the daytime.

Algae, which is what filamentous algae, or blanketweed,
is part of, is estimated to help produce between 70
and 87% of the world's oxygen that we use so I guess
we should treat it with more respect ;-)

As an amateur microscopist, I study it. Beautiful transparent glassy
shafts with various configurations of green chloroplasts inside. If you put
it under an electron microscope, you see the surface of the shafts instead,
which is patterned with holes and slots like a bleached 'sand dollar'.

Old 30-05-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Davy wrote:

This morning the blanket weed has come back again. I think what happened
it that the strong wind and rain dislodged the gas bubbles, that were
buoying
up the blanket weed, so it sank. Since then it has produced more gas
bubbles and risen to the surface again.
So is blanket weed an oxygenator?

Absolutely. On a good sunny day, you'll see it filled with bubbles.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

algae vanished ///Owen\\\\\\ Ponds 2 01-06-2005 08:14 PM
ABPO vanished with TERANEWS? kenty ;-\) Orchids 12 04-12-2004 12:30 PM
ABPO vanished with TERANEWS? kenty ;-\) Orchids 0 03-12-2004 09:36 PM
The topic line vanished for some reason Franz Heymann United Kingdom 19 06-10-2003 04:34 PM
I don't know why the topic line vanished Franz Heymann United Kingdom 0 04-10-2003 10:23 AM