Old 09-06-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Our Pond Links

Hi everyone!
Here is an idea. What if we had a topic thread where everyone put
their pond picture link? That is all that would be there. Sort of a
list like: And this way we can always check for updates and new group
members who add their links.
What are your thoughts?

Dale

1. Dale's Pond (Wilmdale's Pond) http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
2.
3.
4.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 16:52:39 CST, wrote:

Hi everyone!
Here is an idea. What if we had a topic thread where everyone put
their pond picture link? That is all that would be there. Sort of a
list like: And this way we can always check for updates and new group
members who add their links.
What are your thoughts?

Dale

1. Dale's Pond (Wilmdale's Pond)
http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
2. http://www.jjspond.us/
3.
4.

Next person remove my auto sig. ~ jan ;-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-06-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here is an idea. What if we had a topic thread where everyone put
their pond picture link? That is all that would be there. Sort of a
list like: And this way we can always check for updates and new group
members who add their links.
What are your thoughts?

Dale

1. Dale's Pond (Wilmdale's Pond) http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/ http://home.pcisys.net/%7Emuaddib/
2. http://www.jjspond.us/
3. http://www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pond.html
4.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

4. http://tinyurl.com/yp64db

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

5. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm

Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

6. http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/imgp0332.jpg

Old 11-06-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

7. Gareee's Pond http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/Pond.jpg

Old 11-06-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

7. http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 13-06-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
(I hope I got all these right -ron)

Here's the url's, with identification

1. Dale's Pond (Wilmdale's Pond) http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib/
2. ~jan http://www.jjspond.us/
3. Ralph & his Clowder

http://www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pond.html
4. Kathy http://tinyurl.com/yp64db
5. Dr. Solo http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm
6. Galen
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/imgp0332.jpg
7. Gareee's Pond http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/Pond.jpg
8. Rich Toy Box http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

9. Dan Robinson
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/koiboyko...60762337737164

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Snails

I want to get some larger snails for my ponds. Maybe some Japanese Trapdoor
snails or Mystery/Apple snails. Does anybody have a pond that is
overflowing with them that can sell me some cheaply or good source? Are
there any big reasons why I would not want these in either a koi or a lily
pond.
Thanks
Dan Robinson
Houston, Texas.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 07:57:04 CST, "Dan Robinson"
wrote:

I want to get some larger snails for my ponds. Maybe some Japanese Trapdoor
snails or Mystery/Apple snails. Does anybody have a pond that is
overflowing with them that can sell me some cheaply or good source? Are
there any big reasons why I would not want these in either a koi or a lily
pond.
Thanks
Dan Robinson
Houston, Texas.

Snails do carry a parasite that does lives a cycle on our fish.

The life cycle of the parasite is quite complex. A fish-eating bird
(typically a great blue heron or kingfisher) eats an infected fish. The
black spot or worms are released and grow to sexual maturity in the bird's
intestine. The adult worms pass eggs with the bird's droppings. When the
eggs reach water, they hatch into free-swimming organisms which then
penetrate snails for further development. Finally, after leaving the snails
they burrow into the skin of fish and form a cyst. The fish surrounds the
cyst with black pigment that gives the disease its name. If an infected
fish is consumed by a bird, the cycle repeats itself. Copied from:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publi...isease.htm#bla

That said, in a koi pond, they like snails, they call them Escargot. ;-)
Only snails that survive those ponds are in the filter. It is really hard
to keep the common pond snail out of a pond system.

As far as the Apple Snail, my understanding is they will eat anything green
in the pond, so chomp, chomp, to the water lilies.

If I remember rightly there was a story told by Roark that he had a couple
in his small koi pond (at the time). No plants, they were there to eat
algae. One of his trees grew a branch that finally hung in the pond, next
day it had been stripped clean to the water line. The snails, as snail
will, sucked the surface over to the limb and ate it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-07-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

There was a time when my pond was koi~less and
the snails got out of hand. You'd walk on the bottom
and they'd go crunch, crunch. I worried about the pump
and plumbing. I put in a couple hit koi and the problem went away.
I've seen land snails venture out into the pond on
lily pads and the koi circle underneath like spotted
sharks. The snail would look over the edge and
that would be the last thing he did!
My pond is a critter pond, and all critters, within
limits, are welcome.

k :-)

Old 02-07-2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We had to grow our snails in the berm ponds and then put them in the
main pond when they were fairly big. Otherwise, they became koi
food. Even some large ones disappeared!

Jim

Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

snails carry diseases (more than 1). they carry swimmers itch which
can make life miserable if you reach into your pond. The Pond Lady
got it from snails brought in on water lilies she had ordered.

snails die and stink and foul the water. big snails REALLY STINK AND
FOUL THE WATER. I only find snails in my veggie filter on the filter
of the itty pump for the UV. Ingrid

wrote:

I want to get some larger snails for my ponds. Maybe some Japanese Trapdoor
snails or Mystery/Apple snails. Does anybody have a pond that is
overflowing with them that can sell me some cheaply or good source? Are
there any big reasons why I would not want these in either a koi or a lily
pond.
Thanks
Dan Robinson
Houston, Texas.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

From - Our Pond Links ~ jan[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 4 19-06-2007 03:02 AM
Concrete pond cracks~ links, can you help? lab~rat >:-) Ponds 13 05-12-2003 04:12 PM
Need advice or links on overwintering pond plants. Mickey Ponds 10 12-08-2003 06:36 AM
New pond links Lori Ponds 0 27-05-2003 03:32 AM
Are you looking for good pond links? Mike Ponds 0 15-04-2003 06:32 PM