Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Topping off the pond

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:50:56 CST, Kurt wrote:

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

And I use to only do a 20-25% change once a month, but the experts (keep in
mind these are strict koi pond people) say for best results, flow thru.
Next best, once/week. I think with a garden pond we have a lot more
leeway... and if your tests are good, and your water is clear, if it isn't
broke... applies. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

This is a good place to add that I hope everyone is not just topping off,
but is taking some of the water out and putting fresh in, about 10%
once/week minimum. ~ jan

10% is quite a bit for once a week! I've never done this in many years
of having a pond. Maybe every couple months. Water has always been
manageable.

Sure it's a lot, but it would make for a healthier pond. I'd disagree
with "minimum", though. Most ponders don't manage to change that much, and
most ponders don't have serious problems. I suspect that it depends
greatly on evaporation (Jan lives in the desert), and fish load.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:25:14 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Sure it's a lot, but it would make for a healthier pond. I'd disagree
with "minimum", though. Most ponders don't manage to change that much, and
most ponders don't have serious problems. I suspect that it depends
greatly on evaporation (Jan lives in the desert), and fish load.

I wasn't suggesting adding evaporation as part of the change out. Nor was I
talking regionally. I rarely give suggestions based on my location or my
situation. I was talking from the viewpoint of the KHA program and what is
currently considered best for koi, especially in a koi only pond.

IMO, even in a planted pond, if one is doing a lot of moving plants around,
in/out, dividing, adding new, etc. it is still good to remove 10-20%/week
just to get rid of some of the organics in the water given off by the
planting media. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Sure it's a lot, but it would make for a healthier pond. I'd disagree
with "minimum", though. Most ponders don't manage to change that much,
and
most ponders don't have serious problems. I suspect that it depends
greatly on evaporation (Jan lives in the desert), and fish load.

I wasn't suggesting adding evaporation as part of the change out.

Neither was I. Salination increases as evaporation increases, and so
removal of old water becomes more important.

I was talking from the viewpoint of the KHA program and what is
currently considered best for koi, especially in a koi only pond.

I know, and I'm sure it _is_ best, but there really aren't that many people
who make the effort.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:25:19 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

I know, and I'm sure it _is_ best, but there really aren't that many people
who make the effort.

That's why I keep encouraging them to do so. ;-)

Our club has been heavy on the encouragement, and not just from me, but the
other KHA more so. Neither of us has had any pond problem calls from
members. Either they're following our suggestions, or don't want to hear
the lecture again thus aren't reporting problems. I don't know. ~ jan ;-)
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered User

My 800+ gal pond acccidently got drained to almost 1 ft of water a couple weeks ago. Stuck the hose in and filled it, and added a few 5 gallon buckets of mixed de-chlor and tap water every so often during the filling. Fish are fine, and seemed more lively after the water change.
Pond Kits

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Topping off pond Newbie Bill Ponds 4 21-12-2004 06:48 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 9 21-09-2004 11:30 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 09:10 PM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 09:10 PM
Topping off pond question claude rogers Ponds 27 04-06-2003 07:56 PM