Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Man wins over beast!

I was lucky today, and our "Bob" just happened to be far enough away out of
the pond for me to drop him into a large plastic trash can,. and dump him in
the nearest large lake.

While his head was pinky sized, I'd say his length was 16 inches or so.

So now the wife (and any fry) can breathe a sigh of relief, until the next
Bob shows up.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:14:44 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

I was lucky today, and our "Bob" just happened to be far enough away out of
the pond for me to drop him into a large plastic trash can,. and dump him in
the nearest large lake.

While his head was pinky sized, I'd say his length was 16 inches or so.

So now the wife (and any fry) can breathe a sigh of relief, until the next
Bob shows up.

I haven't seen my Bob in over a month. The pond, or rather what's
left of it, (we still have had no rain to speak of -- less than 1/10
of an inch this month) seems to be a happier place, with carefree
frogs lounging about and tadpoles swimming around as though they
hadn't a care in the world. If Bob shows up again he may be "invited"
to leave.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

Old 13-07-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

I haven't seen my Bob in over a month. The pond, or rather what's
left of it, (we still have had no rain to speak of -- less than 1/10
of an inch this month) seems to be a happier place, with carefree
frogs lounging about and tadpoles swimming around as though they
hadn't a care in the world. If Bob shows up again he may be "invited"
to leave.

We've still had very little rain here as well.. had a nice shower yesterday
for about 4 hours, to that helped. After the harsh last cold snap did a lot
of damage to plants and trees around (killing off my damned Japanese maple!)
the lack of rain is still effecting everything.. my hostas are easily 1/2
the size they were last year, and my raspberries are barely clinging onto
life.

I'd say a lot of plant grow is 3-4 week behind their usual timetable,
because of this.

I've yet to get a tomato from the garden yet.. just strawberries, asparagus,
and snap peas.

I don't think there are even any baby pumpkins growing yet either. And I've
seen no oyster mushrooms at all, because of the drought.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 13-07-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:16:58 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

We've still had very little rain here as well.. had a nice shower yesterday
for about 4 hours, to that helped. After the harsh last cold snap did a lot
of damage to plants and trees around (killing off my damned Japanese maple!)
the lack of rain is still effecting everything.. my hostas are easily 1/2
the size they were last year, and my raspberries are barely clinging onto
life.

I moved north from the west side of Florida (about 90 mi north of
Tampa) up to where I am now by the intersection of I-75 and I-10, in
beautiful, historic, northern Florida. I moved from a scrub oak kind
of arid geography into a much wetter area by the Suwannee River, but
it sure hasn't been wetter this year at all. I watch the radar, and
even what little rain there is seems to consistently miss our little
corner of the county.

I'd say a lot of plant grow is 3-4 week behind their usual timetable,
because of this.

I've yet to get a tomato from the garden yet.. just strawberries, asparagus,
and snap peas.

There's a tomato farm I pass on the way to town that they just gave up
on.

Old 13-07-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

We've still had very little rain here as well.. had a nice shower
yesterday for about 4 hours, to that helped. After the harsh last cold
snap did a lot of damage to plants and trees around (killing off my damned
Japanese maple!)

How cold was that? They survive our winters in Nova Scotia.

I moved north from the west side of Florida (about 90 mi north of
Tampa) up to where I am now by the intersection of I-75 and I-10, in
beautiful, historic, northern Florida. I moved from a scrub oak kind
of arid geography into a much wetter area by the Suwannee River, but
it sure hasn't been wetter this year at all. I watch the radar, and
even what little rain there is seems to consistently miss our little
corner of the county.

You can have some of ours. I live off-grid, and had to start up the
generator again tonight. I need sun!!!!

I'd say a lot of plant grow is 3-4 week behind their usual timetable,
because of this.

I've yet to get a tomato from the garden yet.. just strawberries,
asparagus, and snap peas.

Hear that sound?? It's thousands of tiny little violins :-) (well, it might
actually be the locusts...). Up here, even with the greenhouse, it's
August before we get tomatoes. My asparagus has just finished (though
that's because we went away for a week and it bolted - if we'd kept up with
it, it would still be pickable).
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 13-07-2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
We've still had very little rain here as well.. had a nice shower
yesterday for about 4 hours, to that helped. After the harsh last cold
snap did a lot of damage to plants and trees around (killing off my
damned
Japanese maple!)

How cold was that? They survive our winters in Nova Scotia.

I forget honestly, bu tit was late april, and many plants were already
trying to take off. We see dead branches on a lot of local trees and stuff
in our yard that were doing great the year before.. and it wasn;t one
freeze, it was two, about 2 weeks apart in april. The first one killed off
all the leaves that were budding off a lot of trees, and then they tried to
come back, with 2 weeks of 70 degree weather, and then the second freeze
nailed all that new regrowth.

Hear that sound?? It's thousands of tiny little violins :-) (well, it
might
actually be the locusts...). Up here, even with the greenhouse, it's
August before we get tomatoes. My asparagus has just finished (though
that's because we went away for a week and it bolted - if we'd kept up
with
it, it would still be pickable).

I read if you keep cutting back asparagus, that you'l keep getting edible
shoots all season long.

It's been working on our 1 3 year plant here, but we have a bunch of 1 year
plants that are still too young to harvest from.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 14-07-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi all..

I was lucky today, and our "Bob" just happened to be far
enough away out of the pond for me to drop him into a
large plastic trash can,. and dump him in the nearest
large lake.

I haven't seen my Bob in over a month.

Sorry but what's exactly a Bob..?

Thanks..!
--
cu
Marco, capable of learning..

Old 14-07-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

A Bob is a water snake of indeterminate heritage, breeding and family
name.

k :-)

Old 14-07-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 14, 10:04 am, Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi all..

I was lucky today, and our "Bob" just happened to be far
enough away out of the pond for me to drop him into a
large plastic trash can,. and dump him in the nearest
large lake.

I haven't seen my Bob in over a month.

Sorry but what's exactly a Bob..?

Thanks..!
--
cu
Marco, capable of learning..

I am wondering who or what "Bob" is, too.
Deb

Old 14-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 11:04:19 CST, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Hi all..

I was lucky today, and our "Bob" just happened to be far
enough away out of the pond for me to drop him into a
large plastic trash can,. and dump him in the nearest
large lake.

I haven't seen my Bob in over a month.

Sorry but what's exactly a Bob..?

Thanks..!

My Bob was a 4 1/2 foot Florida water snake.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand

Old 14-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi all..

I was lucky today, and our "Bob" just happened to be far
enough away out of the pond for me to drop him into a
large plastic trash can,. and dump him in the nearest
large lake.

I haven't seen my Bob in over a month.

Sorry but what's exactly a Bob..?

First rule of Porg.. we don't talk about Porg!

You WILL be assimilated!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 15-07-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

My Bob was a 4 1/2 foot Florida water snake.

Thanks Galen..!
--
cu
Marco

Old 15-07-2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

A Bob is a water snake of indeterminate heritage, breeding
and family name.

Wow.., a scientific definition of Bob..! Thanks.. :-)

--
cu
Marco

Old 15-07-2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

First rule of Porg.. we don't talk about Porg!

Porg: Justin's 36b..

[...you WILL be Pond-Elated!...]
You WILL be assimilated!

You're no Borg, the real Borg are used to speak a technical
but monotone German. Saw them many times on TV - I
swear..! ;-)
--
cu
Marco

Old 15-07-2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Ha! We are more diabolical than the hapless Borg.
They depend on machinery and fly around in
their silly spaceships!
They need to come down to pond level and then
we will see who rules around here!
The Porg know the secrets of the Deadly Algae.
The Porg have Hit Herons at our disposal.
The Porg know the dangers of Lawns.
The Porg have Armies of Bobs in waiting.
The Borg will be assimilated to Pondom.
It is just a matter of time.
You have been warned.

k - Porg in charge of Critters

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Fiter Wins Over man.... Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 8 21-07-2007 11:50 PM
Beauty and the beast P Max Orchid Photos 2 24-05-2007 01:01 AM
strange beast pulling out tomato plants old dirtbeard Gardening 9 12-06-2006 09:47 PM
Fertilizer of the Beast Fred Gardening 2 12-06-2006 02:41 AM
The beast that ripping out tomatoe plants is probably.............Koi-Lo the carp lover. (nm) BLT Gardening 1 08-06-2006 07:05 AM