Old 28-07-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Best paint for deck by pond?

My deck is ~ 12 yrs old and I just replaced some of the top boards and 2 of
the 2X8 joists 5/4 X 6 top boards ( screwed down) I just wondered what the
life span is for pressured treated wood - I didn't think I would have to be
replacing them this soon
Gale :~)
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
We used 2x6 for the top and 2x8 for the joists, set at 24" intervals.
They are screwed down rather than nailed.

Jim

Old 28-07-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I don't know about timber treatment standards in the us but a great deal of
the timber used here in New Zealand for building is pine, treated to
different levels depending on what you are using it for....

Our highest rating is H5, which is for timber in constant contact with the
ground (house piles, veranda posts that are embedded in concrete, or posts
for carports, fence posts etc) which meets the 50 year durability rating for
our building code.

Lower ratings are used for things not in contact with the ground such as
framing, fence palings etc.

Richard

Old 29-07-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here in MS, we have a top treatment that will stand in water for about
20 years. Many use it for docks. We did.

Jim

Old 29-07-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote
Here in MS, we have a top treatment that will stand in water for about
20 years. Many use it for docks. We did.

I'm not sure that I would use it in contact with the pond itself. The copper
and boric acid compounds with which the wood is treated leaches out at high
levels at first and tapering off over time. Probably not the best thing for
a pond.

BTW: Such wood is "termite resistant", but not termite proof. If you're in
Mississippi, you probably know that. So any "guarantees" about such wood
lasting for decades is meaningless since the termites will destroy it long
before that. And here on the Gulf coast, termites are always a problem.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 29-07-2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Good points.

Probably not the best thing for
a pond.

We ran it in the acre pond. Little polution for a lot of water.

BTW: Such wood is "termite resistant", but not termite proof.

Yeah. We don't put it into the ground. Even our RR ties are
sometimes hit by the termites. With the dock, we set the ground-
contact posts with cone-up tops that we can see. At least we will
know if termites go after it.

Jim

Old 31-07-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
BTW: Such wood is "termite resistant", but not termite proof.

Yeah. We don't put it into the ground. Even our RR ties are
sometimes hit by the termites. With the dock, we set the ground-
contact posts with cone-up tops that we can see. At least we will
know if termites go after it.

A good idea. However, if I was concerned about the pond and termites, I
think I'd use concrete underground. Those heavy cardboard tubes filled with
concrete for footings are very good and not too expensive.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 31-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We set the deck footings in concrete as well, with cone-shaped tops to
shed water and expose termites. Haven't had any as yet. A decade.

Jim

Rate This Thread: