Old 24-07-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Best paint for deck by pond?

Phyllis and I painted our deck with a Home Depot Behr deck paint five
or so years ago. The paint was to last 3-5 years. It has,
basically. We will repaint this year. We have found a HD paint with
a 10 year deck guarantee and 25 years on vertical walls. We have used
solid colors as they protect the wood better.

Ten years seems good to us! Has anyone suggestions or comments about
these or other stains?

Jim

Old 25-07-2007, 05:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Come on deck painters!

Jim

Old 25-07-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Come on deck painters!

Jim

Haven't a clue but I'm eargerly waiting on you getting an answer as the
new pond will be right up to the deck and I'll have the same problem.

Gill

Old 25-07-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I was not happy with Behr paint from HD. we used deck paint from
Menards and it is going on 8 years not a flake anywhere. Ingrid

Old 25-07-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for the feedback. Learning from other people's experience
beats doing all the experiments myself!

Jim

Old 25-07-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Come on deck painters!

Not me... I'm a weathered wood guy :-)
--
derek

Old 26-07-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Weathered wood in southern sun and humidity...disaster. Even
'treatment' only stops mildew etc. It does not protect from sun and
degeration. Must be that (very) northern climate....

We had bare wood in Syracuse...

Jim

Old 26-07-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Weathered wood in southern sun and humidity...disaster. Even
'treatment' only stops mildew etc. It does not protect from sun and
degeration. Must be that (very) northern climate....

We had bare wood in Syracuse...

Sun ? Who gets sun :-( I did mention that the irises just finished
blooming, didn't I. It's been a miserable summer, so far. At least, it
hasn't been a disastrous one, as it has been for so many others.
--
derek

Old 26-07-2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Weathered wood in southern sun and humidity...disaster. Even
'treatment' only stops mildew etc. It does not protect from sun and
degeration. Must be that (very) northern climate....

We had bare wood in Syracuse...

Sun ? Who gets sun :-( I did mention that the irises just finished
blooming, didn't I. It's been a miserable summer, so far. At least, it
hasn't been a disastrous one, as it has been for so many others.

Well we don't get sun either....at least not this year - last year we
had a drought.....our deck gets periously slippy if we don't do any
maintenance on it.....had a nice slide across it the other
day....prolonged water and frosts surely can only damage wood and there
has to be a limit to the length of time you can have "weathered wood"
and wood that needs replacing....

JMO

Gill

Old 27-07-2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill Passman wrote:

Well we don't get sun either....at least not this year - last year we
had a drought.....our deck gets periously slippy if we don't do any
maintenance on it.....had a nice slide across it the other
day....prolonged water and frosts surely can only damage wood and there
has to be a limit to the length of time you can have "weathered wood"
and wood that needs replacing....

Sure, but it's not appreciably different to the time that painted wood will
last. Wood generally does pretty well as long as it's not exposed to water
over the long term. My last deck, which was treated but not painted, was
going fine for 13 years before we moved.
--
derek

Old 27-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:08:38 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Come on deck painters!

Not me... I'm a weathered wood guy :-)
--
derek

I was given the understanding that paint isn't a good thing for
pressure treated wood, (That is what they sell for decking here.)
since it will seal moisture in as well as out, causing decay to set
up. I was told a penetrating stain would work much better.

Hal

Old 27-07-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:
Gill Passman wrote:

Well we don't get sun either....at least not this year - last year we
had a drought.....our deck gets periously slippy if we don't do any
maintenance on it.....had a nice slide across it the other
day....prolonged water and frosts surely can only damage wood and there
has to be a limit to the length of time you can have "weathered wood"
and wood that needs replacing....

Sure, but it's not appreciably different to the time that painted wood will
last. Wood generally does pretty well as long as it's not exposed to water
over the long term. My last deck, which was treated but not painted, was
going fine for 13 years before we moved.

Yeah, "treated" is what we are thinking of for ours. Do you know of a
pond friendly woodstain?

Cheers
Gill

Old 27-07-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I misspoke. Actually, we used a Behr deck stain that is a solid
color. It advertizes all manner of fillers to penetrate into and to
restore the wood. The deck is now 10 yrs old and shows no wear or
deterioration. The stain is only on the top surfaces (hard to paint
under a deck that is 1.5" off the old concrete). We used treated
wood. It seems to be doing very well.

Jim

Old 28-07-2007, 05:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We used 2x6 for the top and 2x8 for the joists, set at 24" intervals.
They are screwed down rather than nailed.

Jim

Rate This Thread: