Old 30-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default If anybody is interested how we got started with Ponding

It was actually better than 20 years ago. My youngest who was then
about 14 or 15 had been begging me for a goldfish pond forever. I kept
saying no!. But then I went back to Germany for the first time in 20
years and every garden that I look at hat some sort of small water
feature in it. So I called home and told him he could have his goldfish
pond. When I got home we made a deal. (this was about April/May) that
each of us would commit to 2 wheelbarrow (contractor size) loads a week
and by the end of summer we would have a good size pond. So we layed
out the area with string and started cutting the sod. That's when my
Husband and our oldest got home from work and asked what in the world we
thought we where doing. We explained, the 2 looked at each other,
doubled over laughing and left again. I thought, that figures, no help
from them. An hour later they re-appeared with dumptruck and backhoe. A
couple hours later the pond was dug.
Now came the real problem. Oregon back then had absolutely no pond
suppliers And of course no Internet to buy from yet. So we put in 3
layers of heavy black plastic. That lasted 3 years till some nephews of
mine decided to spearfish. Oh was I mad! But by then we had one small
Pondsupplier in Portland and we got a Tetra Pondliner that lasted till
last year.

--
Baerbel

*************
Moderator
Homepage
http://www.tiggersgraphics.com

Old 30-07-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Barbara OR" wrote in message

brevity snip

Now came the real problem. Oregon back then had absolutely no pond
suppliers And of course no Internet to buy from yet. So we put in 3
layers of heavy black plastic. That lasted 3 years till some nephews of
mine decided to spearfish. Oh was I mad! But by then we had one small
Pondsupplier in Portland and we got a Tetra Pondliner that lasted till
last year.

======================
I had thought about it for a few years. I had seen some pics in magazines
and books about 15 years ago. One fine day in the summer of 1995 I put in
a 150g pond made from a kiddy-pool from Wal*Mart and a black drop-cloth
liner. I enjoyed it so much I dug an 800g pond and bought a Tetra 60 mil
liner. The following year we put in a 2000g koi pond. We still have both
plus three 700+ gallon tanks behind the house and a few 150g kiddy-pools for
fry, plants and frogs.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 31-07-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

and a few 150g kiddy-pools for fry, plants and frogs.
--

I'm sort of debating on making sort of a side to the creek for
sump-plants. Grin. Let's let my husband hear that though.

Barbara

Old 01-08-2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Go for it...call the new ponds veggie filters. Kind of addicting,
isn't it.

Jim

Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Barbara OR" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

and a few 150g kiddy-pools for fry, plants and frogs.
--

I'm sort of debating on making sort of a side to the creek for
sump-plants. Grin. Let's let my husband hear that though.

Those kiddy pools really come in handy for things like that. For something
more permanent use a rubber water trough.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: