Old 04-08-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default State of the Filter

Even though I have the bottom drain top tight to the bottom (I think), I've
had fish taking the trip to the pre-filter. Needless to say, that's where a
vast majority of taddies went also early on (I thought they'd be safe
there). Not too many taddies survived after I found 4 fish in there
yesterday. s Only 4 taddies found, and they were removed to grow up
elsewhere. Pre-filter is working great with son's new idea. Keeps even
snails from getting thru to the pump chamber.

His first method, using a type of plastic fencing wasn't stiff enough, so
yesterday he redid it in hardware cloth and made the diameter smaller. So
if any of the fish make the ride again I can easily see and catch them.
They seem to suffer no damage from the ride.... apparently.... since
several have taken this ride a couple of times. I think the lure of tasty
taddies was too much for them. They'll get no rewards now. Just the boring
swim around & around a blue barrel till I rescue them. I was just so
thankful that it wasn't a bird coming in.

I now have a school of 5 fake fish in the bare areas not covered by lilies
pads, hoping to thwart any diving birds. So far so good, can't say though
if I've had birds, the filter seem to be taking fish away faster.
;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: