Old 01-10-2007, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Smoothing pond walls prior to liner

The walls of my pond are very rough clay with lots of jagged bumps from
being chiseled out. I was originally going to put underlay around the sides
and bottom, but the walls are too steep. I could use a few long spikes to
hold it in place, but I'm concerned the frost will pop them out into the
liner. The clay is too hard to chisel smooth, it will just crack and create
more bumps.

I'm not sure this really matters though, since the old hole was smooth as
glass when I took the liner out. Granted I dug it earlier in the spring when
the ground was softer, but I can assure you I didn't spend all that time
polishing. So perhaps time and the weight of the water will be all I need. I
did not really encounter any tree roots when enlarging the hole, which was
surprising.

Any ideas on smoothing/covering if required at all.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

DH lined the sides of our pond with wet newspaper.

k :-)

Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
The walls of my pond are very rough clay with lots of jagged bumps from
being chiseled out. I was originally going to put underlay around the
sides and bottom, but the walls are too steep.

======================
So was ours. After some years they started to collapse. We had to pull both
liner and make them more bowl shaped plus add reinforced concrete berms.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The smoothness of your old sides is likely a prediction of what will
happen over time as water presses on the sometimes-moist clay. Right
now, however...

Is there any way to hang rug with it pegged at the top? The water
pressure will force it into place as the liner fills.

Jim

Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

our sides were up and down and concrete block, but we used rug underlayment tucked
behind the top block and hanging down into the pond. no "staples" and the pressure
of the liner and water keeps it in place.

try some water on the clay sides see if you can use a stiff brush to smooth the
sides. Ingrid

Old 02-10-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
The smoothness of your old sides is likely a prediction of what will
happen over time as water presses on the sometimes-moist clay. Right
now, however...

Is there any way to hang rug with it pegged at the top? The water
pressure will force it into place as the liner fills.

Jim

Thanks, that may be the way to go. I foresaw much cursing and swearing
trying to keep it in place otherwise.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article m
writes:
our sides were up and down and concrete block, but we used rug underlayment tucked
behind the top block and hanging down into the pond. no "staples" and the pressure
of the liner and water keeps it in place.

Is this the pond on your web site, or a previous one? I've been
looking at
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
as I'm thinking of a similar style pond.

I thought that pond was framing lumber and plywood. Did that hold up okay?

Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I have 3 ponds (well 4 including a preformed under the window at the dacha)
2 at the dacha sand filled concrete block with foam liner padding and EPDM
http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
1 at the Aldrich house, green 2x4 and green plywood, foam padding with permalon.

all the ponds are holding up very well. I AM known for overbuilding everything.. LOL
Ingrid

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:34:23 CST, wrote:

I have 3 ponds (well 4 including a preformed under the window at the dacha)
2 at the dacha sand filled concrete block with foam liner padding and EPDM
http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
1 at the Aldrich house, green 2x4 and green plywood, foam padding with permalon.

I've never seen these pics before. Does the goldfish pond flow into a
bigger pond? A koi pond? Is that duckweed or azolla on top or something
else? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

no, the GF pond does not flow into the bigger, koi pond. yes, I got duckweed from my
friend and dressed the pond up a bit. It was gone in a couple months and hungry
mouths. I have my koi with me now, the larger pond has orfes. in fact, it had a
thriving 3 generations or so of orfes until the blower stopped in winter and the pond
filled up with tons of leaves. the ponds were in the big greenhouse until the snow
brought it down. sigh. I like my little pond at our city house, I have not had fish
die offs here so far )knock on wood). Ingrid

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 14:18:10 CST, ~ jan wrote:

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:34:23 CST, wrote:

I have 3 ponds (well 4 including a preformed under the window at the dacha)
2 at the dacha sand filled concrete block with foam liner padding and EPDM
http://weloveteaching.com/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
1 at the Aldrich house, green 2x4 and green plywood, foam padding with permalon.

I've never seen these pics before. Does the goldfish pond flow into a
bigger pond? A koi pond? Is that duckweed or azolla on top or something
else? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: