Old 30-12-2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default OT Flooding of Group

Dear RPMembers,

As many of you discovered, there is a flaw in the system, or should I say
leak to be on topic? ;-)

Rest assured we have a team checking into this. Though some are claiming
responsibility or pointing fingers at formerly known RP trolls, we do not
believe this to be the case.

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

If you posted anything prior to or during a flood, please repost
afterwards. We think it is important to return to normal asap.

As far as comments on a flood you may post them under this topic heading.

Thank you, your moderating team
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-12-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Dear RPMembers,

As many of you discovered, there is a flaw in the system, or should I say
leak to be on topic? ;-)

Thanks for the update. I was surprised to see that they had breached 'our'
NG. Hope the problem is solved,

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 30-12-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks, Nick.

Jim

Old 30-12-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
Dear RPMembers,

As many of you discovered, there is a flaw in the system, or should I say
leak to be on topic? ;-)

Rest assured we have a team checking into this. Though some are claiming
responsibility or pointing fingers at formerly known RP trolls, we do not
believe this to be the case.

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

If you posted anything prior to or during a flood, please repost
afterwards. We think it is important to return to normal asap.

As far as comments on a flood you may post them under this topic heading.

====================================
There are many many groups being flooded. I read on another newsgroup
they're originating somewhere in the UK.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 31-12-2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

Another option to consider is to change news servers. Most well managed
servers are able to pretty successfully filter out floods, so that their
users never even see them. For instance, I'm using SuperNews and there
are no flood posts in this group on this server.

--
Kathy - not a ponder, I was just checking out a report I saw elsewhere
claiming that this group was being flooded.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kathy Morgan wrote:
Another option to consider is to change news servers. Most well managed
servers are able to pretty successfully filter out floods, so that their
users never even see them. For instance, I'm using SuperNews and there
are no flood posts in this group on this server.

I took the holidays off from the 'net, but when I returned (yesterday),
I didn't see any of the flood either.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 31-12-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Dec 30, 11:54 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:25:54 CST, (Kathy Morgan)
wrote:

~ jan wrote:

The important thing to keep in mind during a flood is, go to high ground
and wait. Those using news readers can easily delete them and if using
google you'll have to scroll over them.

Another option to consider is to change news servers. Most well managed
servers are able to pretty successfully filter out floods, so that their
users never even see them. For instance, I'm using SuperNews and there
are no flood posts in this group on this server.

Hi Kathy,
There were at least 5235 flood posts. I use several nsp's and
found them on most of the servers.
You are right about Supernews. It is my primary nsp.
Supernews caught the flood and stopped it after 128 posts. Within a
couple hours they had also gone into their storage drives and removed
all 128 posts.
Supernews is a premium nsp, and that means $$ for most people,
unless their isp contracts with Supernews.
But Supernews is at the forefront of combating usenet abuse,
including spam and flooding.
All in all its a _great_ nsp. I recommend them highly.

ron schompert

So there might be a motive in this madness? Interesting. ...

Cordially,

Raving

Old 31-12-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

There were at least 5235 flood posts. [...]
Supernews caught the flood and stopped it after 128 posts. Within a
couple hours they had also gone into their storage drives and removed
all 128 posts.

Yes--by the time I checked in here, the flood posts had already been
removed so I never saw them.

Supernews is a premium nsp, and that means $$ for most people,
unless their isp contracts with Supernews.
But Supernews is at the forefront of combating usenet abuse,
including spam and flooding.
All in all its a _great_ nsp. I recommend them highly.

Yes, same here. I'm paying US $42.95/year for my account, which is
pretty much the basic minimump; I'm interested only in the text groups.

I think Supernews is better, but NewsGuy is also a good service and
they're slightly cheaper. Their basic account is $39.95 for a year, and
they are also good at filtering out the floods.

--
Kathy - If you're reading this in your web browser from Google or
similar forum, NNTP "newsreaders" are a better way to access the

Old 31-12-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

G Pearce wrote:

My ISP uses "NewsGuy" and they are all showing up here

Oh, that's a disappointment. They used to do better. :-(

Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
[...]

Not seen a thing.....using german server. NIN.......good filters I guess
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In writes:

[...]

__Please be aware__ that this mini-flood, and the big flood on
12-27, were NOT the result of poor or flawed software. These
flooders have discovered the technical means to completely bypass most
(all?) moderation setups. (The method has been out there for years,
but has been relatively secret until recently.). Hopefully, the
movers and shakers of usenet will come up with better technical
and/or legal ways to _decisively_ stop this in the future.

ron schompert
(original proponent of rpm)

Hi Ron,

My recommendation to the moderation team would be to implement PGPMoose:

http://www.killfile.org/pgpmoose/

If the team decides to stay with ReadySTUMP for the next year, have Igor
set it up for you. STUMP has the capability to support PGPMoose
built-in, and its configuration should be well within the custom
programming support that he provides to you for the ReadySTUMP
subscription. If you decide to switch to the Panix STUMP, then PGPMoose
(via a GnuPG key) is already provided.

PGPMoose can serve as an additional "tripwire" on your newsgroup to
quickly detect forgeries, especially one-off forgeries versus floods
that would be detectable by CleanFeed. There are cancel-bots running on
the net that can send old-style cancels, and new-style authenticated
"NoCeM" messages, in response to PGPMoose signature failures. Many
sites directly support such automated cancellation of forgeries. The
killfile.org maintainer above will just need your public key to add to
the cancel-bots.

This is admittedly based on a small sample size, but it appears to me
that newsgroups that are protected by PGPMoose are much less subject to
direct forgeries, MI5 or otherwise.

- --
Paul W. Schleck

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

How Does Epinasty (the Epinastic Effect) Help a Plant During Flooding? socrtwo Plant Science 0 29-06-2005 03:49 AM
Flooding NewsGroups. small fish Ponds 1 16-03-2005 07:34 PM
Periodical salt-water flooding Mike Lyle United Kingdom 5 20-11-2004 08:52 PM
[IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT) Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 4 18-02-2004 10:22 PM
flooding mhill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM