Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default OT Flooding of Group

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:06:07 CST, ~ jan wrote:

(However, I strongly discourage persons new to Agent from getting any
of the versions over 1.93.)

I'm running 3.3 and haven't had any problems with it. And Ron, you're more
computer geek than I am. ;-)

I wonder about you too Ron!
However, I'm still using version 2 and don't remember what changed
from 1.93. The improvement I wanted was a way to block cross posts
from other groups. I see little advantage in the changes that have
been made and have lost interest in upgrading, but use 3 instances of
the program and they work fine.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In writes:

[...]

__Please be aware__ that this mini-flood, and the big flood on
12-27, were NOT the result of poor or flawed software. These
flooders have discovered the technical means to completely bypass most
(all?) moderation setups. (The method has been out there for years,
but has been relatively secret until recently.). Hopefully, the
movers and shakers of usenet will come up with better technical
and/or legal ways to _decisively_ stop this in the future.

ron schompert
(original proponent of rpm)

Hi Ron,

My recommendation to the moderation team would be to implement PGPMoose:

http://www.killfile.org/pgpmoose/

If the team decides to stay with ReadySTUMP for the next year, have Igor
set it up for you. STUMP has the capability to support PGPMoose
built-in, and its configuration should be well within the custom
programming support that he provides to you for the ReadySTUMP
subscription. If you decide to switch to the Panix STUMP, then PGPMoose
(via a GnuPG key) is already provided.

PGPMoose can serve as an additional "tripwire" on your newsgroup to
quickly detect forgeries, especially one-off forgeries versus floods
that would be detectable by CleanFeed. There are cancel-bots running on
the net that can send old-style cancels, and new-style authenticated
"NoCeM" messages, in response to PGPMoose signature failures. Many
sites directly support such automated cancellation of forgeries. The
killfile.org maintainer above will just need your public key to add to
the cancel-bots.

This is admittedly based on a small sample size, but it appears to me
that newsgroups that are protected by PGPMoose are much less subject to
direct forgeries, MI5 or otherwise.

- --
Paul W. Schleck

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 19:50:31 CST, Steve Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 20:06:07 CST, ~ jan wrote:

Hi Hal,

I agree with your recommendation for Agent. I have used it for
over 11 years, and have the highest praise for it (at least for the
old version 1.93.)
I find the newer versions much, much too complicated. I think
1.93 was the best ever made. It makes reading newsgroups so very
easy. I've tried other newsreaders, and nothing else comes close.
(However, I strongly discourage persons new to Agent from getting any
of the versions over 1.93.)

I'm running 3.3 and haven't had any problems with it. And Ron, you're more
computer geek than I am. ;-)

I'm using 4.2 and it's dead simple. The anti spam email system alone
is worth the price.

I agree. I'm using it with Linux (with Wine).

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

How Does Epinasty (the Epinastic Effect) Help a Plant During Flooding? socrtwo Plant Science 0 29-06-2005 03:49 AM
Flooding NewsGroups. small fish Ponds 1 16-03-2005 07:34 PM
Periodical salt-water flooding Mike Lyle United Kingdom 5 20-11-2004 08:52 PM
[IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT) Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 4 18-02-2004 10:22 PM
flooding mhill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM