Old 17-01-2008, 04:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Floating water plants sent state lines

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?
Any thoughts on this?

Old 17-01-2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:38:00 CST, Kurt
wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?
Any thoughts on this?

Yes: http://www.azda.gov/PSD/quarantine5.htm
Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms – Floating water hyacinth,

Google is my friend. You may Google your/any state and water hyacinth
and see what restrictions, if any your state may have on water
hyacinths. You may also find what you are looking for at:
http://tinyurl.com/yw4fn8

Most ponders can still buy and have water hyacinths shipped to them.
It is an amazing plant with rapid growth, but not a magic bullet for
everyone. There are other plants that work well in ponds.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 17-01-2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Kurt wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?

Very common.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, it's a good idea. Through most of the southern US they're a serious
pest.
--
derek

Old 17-01-2008, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?
Any thoughts on this?

Yes: http://www.azda.gov/PSD/quarantine5.htm
Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms – Floating water hyacinth,

Google is my friend. You may Google your/any state and water hyacinth
and see what restrictions, if any your state may have on water
hyacinths. You may also find what you are looking for at:
http://tinyurl.com/yw4fn8

Most ponders can still buy and have water hyacinths shipped to them.
It is an amazing plant with rapid growth, but not a magic bullet for
everyone. There are other plants that work well in ponds.

Interesting that it's also a plant that dies out in the colder climes.

Old 18-01-2008, 12:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:51:32 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

Kurt wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?

Very common.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, it's a good idea. Through most of the southern US they're a serious
pest.

It is a serious pest in Florida. I don't even think it is legal to
possess a single WH without a permit, in any case, it is a real bad
idea. They don't die in the winter here, and grow amazingly fast. One
can be pretty, but if you have one here, you'll have 50 next week, and
then 500 the next week, and then 5000 the next, and I think you can
see where this is going.

Old 18-01-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jan 16, 9:38*pm, Kurt wrote:
One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?
Any thoughts on this?

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/seagrant/eiccra2.html
--------

And they keep coming!:

http://salvinia.er.usgs.gov/html/predicted_range.html

---------

Colorado is getting problems with!:

Eurasian Watermilfoil

http://coloradoriparian.org/GreenLin...termilfoil.php

Old 18-01-2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:51:57 CST, Kurt
wrote:

Interesting that it's also a plant that dies out in the colder climes.

Yes, it is not generally a problem in an area that has a freeze, but
the warmer (Most Southern.) edge of Zone 8 in South Georgia can
support them over winter, and Zone 9 and above they can grow rampant.
We had a member of our club that planted some in the mud of her mom's
farm pond, so she could drive down and gather some every spring.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 18-01-2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Kurt wrote:

One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?

Very common.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes, it's a good idea. Through most of the southern US they're a serious
pest.

It is a serious pest in Florida. I don't even think it is legal to
possess a single WH without a permit, in any case, it is a real bad
idea. They don't die in the winter here, and grow amazingly fast. One
can be pretty, but if you have one here, you'll have 50 next week, and
then 500 the next week, and then 5000 the next, and I think you can
see where this is going.

So interesting that here in Southern CA, when in season (never for sale
in the Winter) they sell for $3 a clump at the local nursuries.
Nothing freezes (maybe once or twice a Winter) where I live, but WH have
already diminished to little stubs in the pond. Have other floating
plants that are quite robust (not parrot feather, but another leafy
type).
Fish are probably snacking (they still come up clammering for food at
4-5PM). Water temp has been right around 56.

Old 20-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

----------One of my friends in Sedona just told me that AZ has outlawed the
interstate transport of floating plants like water hyacinth.
I can understand duckweed and the like, but was surprised the WH was on
the list.
How is this with other states?
Any thoughts on this?-----------------

There are all sorts of scaremongering and arbitrary legislation regarding aquatic plants.

Much of it seems to be bureaucrats and nurseries trying to get government gravy or a higher price for their nursery interests, jumping on the 'activist' bandwagon.

Some rather iffy folk want to make a career of selling 'native plants (weeds)' or fickle hybrids at a premium price and have aspirations and expectation of very hefty hourly rates for public speaking and 'consultancies'

Very effective, popular and very cheap aquatic plants such as water hyacinth gets in the way of selling more profitable nursery stock

There are alternatives to water hyacinth for folk where it is prohibited, robust hardy waterlilies being one of the more obvious to moderate pond temps, provide predator cover, reduce evaporation, improve water quality, very heat tolerant...

Regards, andy
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/
Old 21-01-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

adavisus wrote:

There are all sorts of scaremongering and arbitrary legislation
regarding aquatic plants.

Much of it seems to be bureaucrats and nurseries trying to get
government gravy or a higher price for their nursery interests, jumping
on the 'activist' bandwagon.

Arbitrary? Hardly. "Nursery interests"? In most states where it's illegal
to import Water Hyacinth, it's illegal to sell it. Where do the nurseries
profit? Not from sale of hardy plants, which only need to be purchased
once rather than yearly.

There are _some_ iffy laws - one of the New Englands states banning Jack
Dempsey's, for instance. They claim that they have found JDs that have
survived in the wild over a winter, and perhaps they have, but they can
never thrive in New England (I expect they've been living in warm water
outlets from industrial cooling or sewer). But generally the laws are to
prevent destruction of native fauna and habitat. You only need to see what
purple loosestrife can do to a bog, or water hyacinth to a river, to
understand the effects.
--
derek

Rate This Thread: