Old 18-04-2008, 04:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Plant Cover Ideas for Difficult Areas?

Hi,

I have two areas where I'd really like to add more plant cover. I've
tried to do this the last two summers but the plant cover has either
been inadequate for what I want or it has taken until the end of
summer to grow out. The two areas I need the cover in have their own
difficulties. The pond is in full sun, but the heat isn't a problem
for the fish due to the waterfalls and depth of the water.

Area #1 - The stream. This area is fed by a reasonably fast moving
waterfall, is about 3 feet wide and 18 feet long and ranges from about
a foot deep to 0" on either end where the stream flows down rocks to
the main pond area.

Difficulties: The water is moving, not in a "class 4 rapids" kind of
way, but enough that floating plants will not stay put. Unanchored
floating plants will end up riding down the waterfalls into the other
pond section. So, I need something anchored that can deal with moving
water. Also, there are critters (mainly frogs) in this area, so I
don't want to completely cover the stream, just maybe 60-70 % of it.

Area #2 - The main pond area. This area is about 25' x 20' and drops
to 6 feet deep in the middle, with a 2' shelf around it at about a
foot or so deep.

Difficulties: There are 2 skimmers in this area, and two waterfalls
feeding it. Water flow is such that free floating plants will end up
in the skimmers. Due to the 6' deep center anchoring plants in the
center is problematic. There are several lillies in this area that
should grow wildly, but they don't cover enough area on their own and
they take a while to really spread. I'm looking for 60% coverage. More
is fine, as I'd just clear if I needed to. I looked at floating plant
baskets, but putting a large lilly in one of those concerned me
because the lillies weigh so much, and if the basket went upside down,
all of that would end up down by my bottom drain. More debris, I don't
want. : )

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 18-04-2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Creeping primrose, for both stream & pond area. You can anchor the stems
under the rock edge, or in a pot of rocks for the pond. ~ jan

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:04:23 EDT, Pond Addict
wrote:

[...]

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 19-04-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I planted my waterfall with watercress one year. You have
to watch it as it will cover the whole thing. But the roots
are shallow and brittle and it is easy to rip up.
I bought a bunch at the grocery store. Sometimes it is sold
with the roots attached. Or not. Even the rootless stuff will
grow roots quickly enough. Heck, you can even anchor down
the leafy end and it will grow roots. The stuff is tough.
Plant by laying down the sprig and putting a rock on top
of the stem.

For edges creeping jenny works well and will grow out into
the water. I've even had an island filled with creeping jenny.

k :-)

Old 25-04-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

OK, I've got creeping jenny and primrose on the way.

I went to the grocery store to get some watercress but I couldn't find
any with roots and only one local place I've found even sells it, and
that's in bags like the prepackaged salad greens. It seemed pretty
unlikely, but I decided to try the bagged stuff. It was small
clippings so I fully expected to be tossing it out of my pond in a few
days, especially with the salt as high as it is at the moment. Anyway,
I was out there today and there are roots on the clippings already!
That's after 4 days in the pond. I'm impressed.

Dave

Old 26-04-2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 18:25:18 EDT, Pond Addict
wrote:

watercress
I was out there today and there are roots on the clippings already!
That's after 4 days in the pond. I'm impressed. Dave

And just wait till it starts growing, you'll wonder how they sell such
pathetic looking stems in the store.... because most people don't know what
a healthy watercress plant looks like. Kind of like spinach. If you ever
grow that, you'll never buy it from a store again.... at least, imho. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: