Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default More dead frogs

As you all now we pulled the net off the smaller 800g+ pond and have no fish
in it. It's for plants and frogs and whatever else decides to move in. With
the net gone something, possibly a cat, has picked off every frog and eats
it's legs off. We find the bodies near the same tree about 20' from the
pond. There are no more frogs as of last night. We starting to feel this
pond is a draw for frogs and something else that feeds on them. This is a
real downer. :*(
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

"Reel McKoi" wrote

| As you all now we pulled the net off the smaller 800g+ pond and have no
fish
| in it. It's for plants and frogs and whatever else decides to move in.
With
| the net gone something, possibly a cat, has picked off every frog and eats
| it's legs off. We find the bodies near the same tree about 20' from the
| pond. There are no more frogs as of last night. We starting to feel this
| pond is a draw for frogs and something else that feeds on them. This is a
| real downer. :*(

I'm very sorry about the frogs. But now that they are gone, whatever was
eating them will go away, and may not come back.

BTW I'm a cat person who lived with 9 cats around ponds for many years and
never once saw a cat eat a frog. I don't think they like them.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Reel McKoi" wrote

| As you all now we pulled the net off the smaller 800g+ pond and have no
fish
| in it. It's for plants and frogs and whatever else decides to move in.
With
| the net gone something, possibly a cat, has picked off every frog and
eats
| it's legs off. We find the bodies near the same tree about 20' from the
| pond. There are no more frogs as of last night. We starting to feel
this
| pond is a draw for frogs and something else that feeds on them. This is
| real downer. :*(

I'm very sorry about the frogs. But now that they are gone, whatever was
eating them will go away, and may not come back.

BTW I'm a cat person who lived with 9 cats around ponds for many years and
never once saw a cat eat a frog. I don't think they like them.

We don't know of any other predator that would just chew their legs off and
leave the body. Herons and snakes eat them whole. Snapper turtles don't drag
them out of the water to eat their legs and leave the bodies. There is
nothing else here that does that. I hope whatever is doing it leaves.

My old cat completely ignored the pond and frogs and toads.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
GGJ GGJ is offline

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
As you all now we pulled the net off the smaller 800g+ pond and have no

fish in it. It's for plants and frogs and whatever else decides to move

in. With the net gone something, possibly a cat, has picked off every
frog and eats it's legs off. We find the bodies near the same tree abou

20' from the pond. There are no more frogs as of last night. We start

ing
to feel this pond is a draw for frogs and something else that feeds on
them. This is a real downer. :*(
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

I watched my brothers Staffordshire terrier grab a frog in his mouth a fe
months back, the frog, I think must have secreted something from its skin

because the dog soon dropped him un-harmed and ran round the garden with
foaming mouth for 5 minutes , he has never touched a frog since. I would
have thought a frog would have had the same effect on a cat.

GGJ
uk

Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

GGJ wrote:
With the net gone something, possibly a cat, has picked off every
frog and eats it's legs off.

I watched my brothers Staffordshire terrier grab a frog in his mouth a fe
w months back, the frog, I think must have secreted something from its skin

because the dog soon dropped him un-harmed and ran round the garden with
a foaming mouth for 5 minutes , he has never touched a frog since. I
would have thought a frog would have had the same effect on a cat.

Maybe that's why the predator in this case ONLY eats the legs.

Chip

Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pat Pat is offline

There is a magnificent slide show of frog photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rod_out...00527000/show/

The photographer is a regular poster on alt.binaries.pictures.animals

Old 09-06-2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
GGJ GGJ is offline

"Pat" wrote in message
et...
There is a magnificent slide show of frog photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rod_out...00527000/show/

The photographer is a regular poster on alt.binaries.pictures.animals

Blimey, he certainly likes his frogs. Not the best of places to be a moth by
the looks of things.
Great photo's.
GGJ

Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"GGJ" wrote in message

I watched my brothers Staffordshire terrier grab a frog in his mouth a fe
months back, the frog, I think must have secreted something from its skin

because the dog soon dropped him un-harmed and ran round the garden with
foaming mouth for 5 minutes , he has never touched a frog since. I would
have thought a frog would have had the same effect on a cat.
You're talking about toads. These are frogs that come up with their legs
chewed off. I haven't seen any toads harmed here yet.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: