Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Newbie questions- 8x10 pond and dug well

I'm about to make a small pond for some plants[?], the birds, a water
feature and a doggie wading pool. [our pug Gizmo likes to wade- but
doesn't like to swim.g]

Tell me how many things I should do/change before I start digging.

I'm thinking about an 8x10 or so pond liner- depth of the pond to go
from 2-4 inches on one end to 18inches or so on the deep end.

Sand or gravel on the bottom of the shallow end.

More or less kidney shaped- with pavers/stone edging.

My plan was to utilize the unused dug well adjacent to the site and
re-circulate the water between pond and well. The well holds about
1000 gallons, usually about 10 feet below the surface. I was
hoping to keep the water cool and refreshing.

The more I read the less this seems like a good idea- and the more I
think I should just set it up to be self contained. [though there
will be running water from a bucket over the well to the pond through
a trough over the flower bed.] I'll use one pump to fill/cool off
the pond- and another to skim & filter.

How many cardinal sins have I committed so far? g
[BTW- I'm in NY zone 5-6ish and the site will be in full sun only
about 5 hours on the longest days. It is on the west side of a
deciduous tree.]

Thanks-
Jim

Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm about to make a small pond for some plants[?], the birds, a water
feature and a doggie wading pool. [our pug Gizmo likes to wade- but
doesn't like to swim.g]

Tell me how many things I should do/change before I start digging.

I'm thinking about an 8x10 or so pond liner- depth of the pond to go
from 2-4 inches on one end to 18inches or so on the deep end.

Sand or gravel on the bottom of the shallow end.

This will all drift to the deep end. I would personally avoid putting sand
or gravel on the bottom. Very hard to keep clean.

Will you EVER want fish? If so you should take into account fish protection
from predators before you dig.

More or less kidney shaped- with pavers/stone edging.

My plan was to utilize the unused dug well adjacent to the site and
re-circulate the water between pond and well. The well holds about
1000 gallons, usually about 10 feet below the surface. I was
hoping to keep the water cool and refreshing.

The more I read the less this seems like a good idea- and the more I
think I should just set it up to be self contained.

Self contained will be less problematic. I'm not sure keeping the water cool
will be a benefit to any of the creatures using the pond.

[though there will be running water from a bucket over the well to the pond

through
a trough over the flower bed.] I'll use one pump to fill/cool off the
pond- and another to skim & filter.

If you go self contained you'll only need the one pump. If you use the well,
it sounds a bit as if you will be circulating water in two different
locations. One the 'self contained' part and the other circulating through
the well. I'm thinking you will be somewhat contaminating (okay contaminate
is way too strong a word...) your well water with pond water.

How many cardinal sins have I committed so far? g [BTW- I'm in NY zone
5-6ish and the site will be in full sun only about 5 hours on the longest
days. It is on the west side of a deciduous tree.]

How close to the tree? Leaves will fall in the water and need to be removed
or you will need to net in the fall.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

San Diego Joe wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
I'm thinking about an 8x10 or so pond liner- depth of the pond to go
from 2-4 inches on one end to 18inches or so on the deep end.

Sand or gravel on the bottom of the shallow end.

This will all drift to the deep end. I would personally avoid putting sand
or gravel on the bottom. Very hard to keep clean.

Good point. I forgot about gravity. Any thoughts on keeping the
liner from being slippery to make wading more pleasant? Pavers on
the bottom?

Will you EVER want fish? If so you should take into account fish protection
from predators before you dig.

No fish in this one.

-snip-
[though there will be running water from a bucket over the well to the pond

through
a trough over the flower bed.] I'll use one pump to fill/cool off the
pond- and another to skim & filter.

If you go self contained you'll only need the one pump. If you use the well,
it sounds a bit as if you will be circulating water in two different
locations. One the 'self contained' part and the other circulating through
the well. I'm thinking you will be somewhat contaminating (okay contaminate
is way too strong a word...) your well water with pond water.

Plan two eliminates re-circulating into the well. I was thinking
I'd need one pump to get water from the well [handier than a hose from
the house supply- and much softer, chlorine free water] and another
for my filtration and moving water. Will a single pump also
draw from the well when needed? Say a max of 15' of head for the
well water.

How many cardinal sins have I committed so far? g [BTW- I'm in NY zone
5-6ish and the site will be in full sun only about 5 hours on the longest
days. It is on the west side of a deciduous tree.]

How close to the tree? Leaves will fall in the water and need to be removed
or you will need to net in the fall.

Oh I'll have leaves-- and mulberries, and red maple blossoms,
catkins, and seeds, and cottonwood puffs. I fight with a pool
in a similar location. A powerful skimmer and frequent raking is
a must. In the fall I might rig a screen for it.
[open to suggestions on pump/skimmer style or brands]

Thanks for the feedback-

Jim

Old 12-06-2008, 04:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Good point. I forgot about gravity.

Actually you are in good company. Nobody thought about it until Newton
saw a falling apple. But you would be surprised at the number of
projects that fail and fall because of someone forgetting about gravity.

Chip

Old 12-06-2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Do you have raccoons? I really vote against sloping edges and if you are
making a wading pool for the dogs you have to consider what their claws are
going to do with a liner. Have you considered putting heavily sanded/stoned
cement on top of the liner? This way you can have the slope and keep the
dogs from puncturing the liner plus it would give them traction even with
algae buildup. If the sides go straight down on the deep end you also might
be able to keep the raccoons from destroying your plants and you would not
have to cement the sides... Just some thoughts. Donna

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

Rate This Thread: