Old 10-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Nicholas

Default Newly dug soil?

Hi again

We've taken over an allotment in poor state.

Soil is heavy with a bit of clay from my inexpert asessment

Dug over our beds about 6 weeks ago.

We have a supply of rotted horse manure.

Can we add some of this to the soil for this years crops or is it too
late this year?

And any ideas on quantities?

Finally are there any other tips on getting newly dug soil into
reasonable condition for this year?

TIA again

Nicholas
Old 10-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nicholas wrote:

We've taken over an allotment in poor state.

Soil is heavy with a bit of clay from my inexpert asessment

Dug over our beds about 6 weeks ago.

We have a supply of rotted horse manure.

Can we add some of this to the soil for this years crops or is it too
late this year?

Yes. Definitely not. It is still winter. It is a bit late to add
FRESH manure, but rotted manure is no problem.

And any ideas on quantities?

As much as you like, can get and have the energy to dig in :-)

Finally are there any other tips on getting newly dug soil into
reasonable condition for this year?

Not a lot - you seem well on the way. Loosen it - you have done that.
Add well rotted manure - you are doing that.

Carrots and parsnips may fork a bit with the manure, but that isn't
a big deal if you are not exhibiting. Few vegetables object to it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679