Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default What Oxygenators For Alkaline Water?

I have several oxygenators in my limestone pebble lined
pond. Unfortunately, many of them become covered in
limescale; at best they look unattractive: at worst they
die.

Can anybody suggest plants that are likely to thrive?

Davy

Old 09-07-2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Can you not soak your oxygenator stones in a calcium remover/solvent?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2000311_remo...ower-head.html
http://www.nextag.com/calcium-lime-r...er/search-html

for example...

Watercress and mint are both pretty tolerant - they won't oxygenate the
water though so that is probably not what you are asking for.

. 109.145...

Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:51:05 EDT, Davy
wrote:

I have several oxygenators in my limestone pebble lined
pond. Unfortunately, many of them become covered in
limescale; at best they look unattractive: at worst they
die.

Can anybody suggest plants that are likely to thrive?

String algae lives well in mine!

Actually I think most ponders depend on waterfalls, air pumps or
sprays that send a flow of water into the air for oxygen. Especially
since plants at night consume oxygen and give off carbon dioxide.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Davy" wrote in message
. 109.145...
I have several oxygenators in my limestone pebble lined
pond. Unfortunately, many of them become covered in
limescale; at best they look unattractive: at worst they
die.

Can anybody suggest plants that are likely to thrive?

=========================
I use water pumps to aerate my ponds. Plants use oxygen at night depriving
the fish of what they may need.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Davy wrote:

I have several oxygenators in my limestone pebble lined
pond. Unfortunately, many of them become covered in
limescale; at best they look unattractive: at worst they
die.

Can anybody suggest plants that are likely to thrive?

Davy

My ph is currently 8.5. I use Anacharis (Egeria densa) and it grows like
crazy.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 13-07-2008, 11:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

San Diego Joe wrote in
:

Egeria densa

Joe,
unfortunately in the UK that is an aquarium plant; perhaps
its too cold here!

Davy

Old 14-07-2008, 04:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Davy wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in
:

Egeria densa

unfortunately in the UK that is an aquarium plant; perhaps
its too cold here!

Then try its cousin "Elodea Canadensis", which survives in heavily
ice-covered ponds. E. Densa is native to Brazil, so probably not best
suited for overwintering in the UK, but should do fine as an annual.
--
derek

Old 14-07-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Davy wrote:

San Diego Joe wrote in
:

Egeria densa

Joe,
unfortunately in the UK that is an aquarium plant; perhaps
its too cold here!

Davy

My water gets as cold as 40 here in winter and it has always survived.

Old 14-07-2008, 09:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

San Diego Joe wrote:

My water gets as cold as 40 here in winter and it has always survived.

You SoCal boys just have to rub it in :-)

Even in the UK, you can expect the water to get colder than that.
--
derek

Rate This Thread: