Old 21-07-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Controlling lily pads on a large pond

I have a fairly large pond (tear drop shapped - 150 yards x 75 yards)
which seems to be taken over by aquatic plants - mostly lily pads &
hydrilla.

What are some of the better ways of controlling the plants, without
bothering the fish, birds, and other wildlife that use the pond? I have
been told that most people use "Roundup", but that just doesn't sound
very safe to me....

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Old 21-07-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This article
http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0004.html
looks like a good place to start.
good luck!
k :-)

Old 21-07-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:50:13 EDT, Chris Barnes wrote:

I have a fairly large pond (tear drop shapped - 150 yards x 75 yards)
which seems to be taken over by aquatic plants - mostly lily pads &
hydrilla.

What are some of the better ways of controlling the plants, without
bothering the fish, birds, and other wildlife that use the pond? I have
been told that most people use "Roundup", but that just doesn't sound
very safe to me....

I bet it is nice and clear.

That size pond, perhaps a paddle-wheeled harvester?

I know there are water plant pesticides (not roundup) but if they didn't
out right kill the plants, they should would make them look sickly and
parts would die and decompose.... and there goes the clear water. Perhaps
you could hire some kids to hand harvest, clearing some areas? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-07-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Chris Barnes" wrote in message
I have a fairly large pond (tear drop shapped - 150 yards x 75 yards) which
seems to be taken over by aquatic plants - mostly lily pads & hydrilla.

What are some of the better ways of controlling the plants, without
bothering the fish, birds, and other wildlife that use the pond? I have
been told that most people use "Roundup", but that just doesn't sound very
safe to me....

============================
I wouldn't use Roundup. You're sure to kill a lot more than unwanted plants.
How about getting some exercise and fresh air by hand harvesting the
unwanted vegetation and composting it? Or give it to a gardener to compost.
:-)
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-07-2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
This article
http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0004.html
looks like a good place to start.

That was beautiful. That might be the only resource I need.
Thanks!

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old 22-07-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:50:13 EDT, Chris Barnes wrote:

I have a fairly large pond (tear drop shapped - 150 yards x 75 yards)
which seems to be taken over by aquatic plants - mostly lily pads &
hydrilla.

What are some of the better ways of controlling the plants, without
bothering the fish, birds, and other wildlife that use the pond? I have
been told that most people use "Roundup", but that just doesn't sound
very safe to me....

I bet it is nice and clear.

Um, no. In my part of the state, there are NO ponds that are clear.
The soil has way too much clay that stays in suspension all year round.
Plus the pond gets too much runoff so there is a good layer of gooey mud
about 6"-12" thick (probably one reason why the plants grow so well...).

Now if we lived 100 miles west, in the Texas hill country, the bottom of
the ponds would be solid rock. THOSE ponds can be clear (people
actually dive at Lake Travis outside of Austin, down to about 30').

I know there are water plant pesticides (not roundup) but if they didn't
out right kill the plants, they should would make them look sickly and
parts would die and decompose.... and there goes the clear water. Perhaps
you could hire some kids to hand harvest, clearing some areas? ~ jan

Well... it would be long, back breaking work. I would know because I
walked across part of the pond this past weekend. Just walking through
the mud & weed mixture was pretty exhausting. Just fyi - I took a 8'
"cattle panel" (heavy gauge wire fence) and used my tractor to drag it
across the pond. It helped clear out some of the hydrilla, but 30
minutes later you couldn't even tell the path I used through the
lilypads (they simply "re-engulfed" the path).

I suspect it would take a crew of 30 high-school/college aged kids a
good 10-12 hours to make a noticable dent. That's what - 300+
man-hours? Not sure I could afford that, even paying "kid wages"....

Oh, and since it was 100 yesterday, the water isn't exactly "cool". :-O

Which also answer's Reel's comment (I garden myself, but the compost
material wouldn't be worth the effort).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old 23-07-2008, 02:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Chris,

Your description makes it clear that mechanical would be very hard!
Have you any pics of the pond?

Jim

Old 23-07-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Your description makes it clear that mechanical would be very hard!
Have you any pics of the pond?

I'll take some tonight. :-)

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old 23-07-2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:33:34 EDT, Chris Barnes wrote:

[...]

Dang, that a large pond could be that full of plants and neither clear nor
cool. I'm surprised you walked thru it.... or would want to. I hate water
weeds touching my legs, perhaps you used waders? (Doing my best to uncreep
myself out.)

I just skimmed the resource kathy gave, so do tell what did you do and how
well it worked when you get to that point. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-07-2008, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Dang, that a large pond could be that full of plants and neither clear nor
cool. I'm surprised you walked thru it.... or would want to. I hate water
weeds touching my legs, perhaps you used waders?

I only walked through it once...
A person does not wear waders in Texas in the summer (even light ones)
unless they want to die of heat stroke! :-O

I just skimmed the resource kathy gave, so do tell what did you do and how
well it worked when you get to that point. ~ jan

I'll have to drop by our local co-op with the list of herbicides printed
out to see what is available (that I can buy without a license).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old 25-07-2008, 01:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here are some pictures of the pond

http://www.txbarnes.com/land/Phase2/

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old 25-07-2008, 10:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Oh, WOW!
I seriously covet your pond!!!

k :-)

Old 25-07-2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
Oh, WOW!
I seriously covet your pond!!!

Technically it's not mine. It's on the adjacent property owned by the
municipal airport next door (only small private planes - not annoying at
all, in fact, they're kind of cool - especially when the skydivers are
going). But we have permission to use the property pretty much as we
see fit (I dove hunt on it - right in line with the path the planes take
to land/takeoff).

The pond is approximately 80 yards from our property line. :-)

I am digging a pond of my own on the other side of our house. When
completed it should be roughly rectangular about 150'x75' and 30' deep
(if I can). We plan on putting in a water well with a pump strong
enough to keep it filled all summer long.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Old 25-07-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Around here that would be thought of as a small lake!

Jim

Old 25-07-2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:40:29 EDT, Chris Barnes wrote:

Here are some pictures of the pond

http://www.txbarnes.com/land/Phase2/

Ahmazing.

What are your plans with the pond you're digging? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Lily Pads taking over hammr Ponds 4 26-07-2004 03:02 PM
Lily Pads taking over hammr Ponds 4 21-07-2004 09:02 AM
Lily pads Bonnie Ponds 2 16-03-2004 04:29 AM
Lily Pads too tall? Sue Alexandre Ponds 2 15-06-2003 03:08 PM
Yellow lily pads jammer Ponds 7 27-05-2003 04:09 AM