Old 11-08-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Just a reminder - feed your water lilies!

If you don't know or you tend to forget as I do - water lilies are heavy
feeders and if you want flowers you need to remember to feed them. I feed
my water lilies when the blooming drops off (and it is still growing
season). I only feed my lotus at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure
about this and wonder if I should be feeding it more often... Any lotus
growers around? Donna

Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:01:39 EDT, "D Kat"
wrote:

If you don't know or you tend to forget as I do - water lilies are heavy
feeders and if you want flowers you need to remember to feed them. I feed
my water lilies when the blooming drops off (and it is still growing
season). I only feed my lotus at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure
about this and wonder if I should be feeding it more often... Any lotus
growers around? Donna

I don't do lotus but I can add a useless data point. After carefully
selecting my lily (going to WalMart and grabbing whatever is there), I
gingerly plant it (throw it in the pond), and then care for its every
need (forget about it completely). I've had three blooms already from
this one lily. It kinda surprised me and I thought three was doing
pretty good, especially considering the attention I lavish on it.
Would it bloom even more if I fertilized it, and how would I go about
fertilizing it? Can I just throw some fertilizer in the water? I
don't have any fish.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

If you throw fertilizer in the water you are going to have pea soup
for water IMO (I really don't do crystal balls but this is as close to
predictable as you can get). If you want more blooms, I would
recomment putting the lily tuber in a pot with clay/sand (NOT loam,
potting soil, or any enriched soil - unsented kitty litter made of
clay will work but poor garden soil is better). You can buy plant
pills for water plants that you shove down into the middle of the soil
or you can wrap up some flowering plant fertilizer in newspaper and
bury this in the middle of the pot. Plant the tuber so that it lays
on top of the soil - the same as you would an English iris.

Yes it should give you many more blooms. For example, shortly after
my feeding I got 5 blooms at once. It had tapered off to just one now
and again. I have had my lilies in the pond as you do and while they
get by, which may just be all you want or need, they do not flower
heavily - at least they never did for me.

Donna

Old 11-08-2008, 01:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:01:39 EDT, "D Kat" wrote:

If you don't know or you tend to forget as I do - water lilies are heavy
feeders and if you want flowers you need to remember to feed them. I feed
my water lilies when the blooming drops off (and it is still growing
season). I only feed my lotus at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure
about this and wonder if I should be feeding it more often... Any lotus
growers around? Donna

Lotus are even more heavy feeders than lilies. To keep them blooming one
needs to feed them every 2 weeks. Once they start they rarely do not have a
bloom open.... at least that is how the Momo Botan are in my pond.

Btw, planted the WH with the end roots in mud today. We'll see how it does.
I left a couple babies in the stock tank. Finally cleaned up my patio
putting away the potting table and all the flotsam that goes with it. Just
a nice clean patio to enjoy now. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2008, 01:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jan - rather naive of me to think that a lotus only bloomed once and
only needed spring feeding.

You do realize that cleaning up the patio will bring the chaos gods down
upon you.... I spent the weekend doing tidying chores, came home tonight
and found a hail/wind storm had undone all my work.
Donna

Old 12-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:13:53 EDT, "D Kat" wrote:

You do realize that cleaning up the patio will bring the chaos gods down
upon you.... I spent the weekend doing tidying chores, came home tonight
and found a hail/wind storm had undone all my work.
Donna

You're so right, that's what usually does happen, but it seems we're going
to get a heat wave that will keep me off the patio. :-( ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: