Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Hi there, I am relatively new as well.

I wouldn't install a pond if I was you, I had one in one of my gardens and unfortunately a small child died. Me + Beer + Pond + Child = Inevitable drowning.

Welcome.
Donkey....that's horrific, so bad and so sad. I hope you are now over your sad loss

Wow, well thankyou very much guys for the responses.

First of all, Bulbital....i love fishing, i really do but that's not really what i had in mind for my pond. This is how i see the vision.......long warm sunner afternoons, barbeque going, good book in hand and a nice cold glass of water with ice, listening to the tranquil sound of water by my beautiful pond.

Also, wine delilah, thankyou for your suggestion, i too have a cellar but i use it for other activities so a pond in my cellar is not really an option i'm afraid.

Terrapin and AlanMarsh.....i'm not sure if you are taking this seriously but your posts made me giggle all the same. My wife (also a keen gardener) thinks you are silly but i said to her "get a sense of humour, these guys seem like a good laugh even if they are a bit crude".

Arry the plant......thankyou for your suggestions regarding location, i think my garden is the perfect location for a pond.

I aim to start digging next week.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
UnclePlant's Avatar
Registered User

Don't make the same mistake that I made with your pond. My neighbour had a pond professionally installed a couple of years ago and spent an absolute fortune on a piddly little thing. I thought I could do something pretty epic myself with hardly any outlay.

I borrowed the tools that I needed from my old man and proceeded to mark out my pond. I was looking for something pretty impressive so marked out a quarter of my garden and dug out a step like pattern so I could have a waterfall type effect.
Anyways me and my mate made the day of it in the sun, few beers, disposable BBQ and a couple of shovels. We dug out the hole, planted a few of the underwater seeds that he'd brought over and some sea monkey eggs that we scattered on the bottom before getting the hose out to fill her up. After hours and hours of watching the thing filling up but not really getting anywhere (it had only just started to show signs of puddles) we decided to leave it filling overnight and hope that it was ready for the morning because the filters were coming.
Anyways at about 8am there was a banging at my front door, I was expecting my pond filters delivered so jumped up expecting to see the postman complimenting my new pond and handing over a package. It was only the bloody neighbour in the house behind mine, the water was just going straight into his garden and he'd been fighting it out of his living room all night before tracing it up to my pond that was still completely empty.
I was ****ing livid, my nextdoor neighbour had obviously sabotaged my pond during the night because it was going to make his investment look ridiculous. I calmed down, waited until he went to work, went into his back garden and ****ing trashed his pond - looking back now I feel sorry for the fish but if he didn't ruin my garden I wouldn't have had to kill his fish.

I hope, if you are installing a pond that you've got better neighbours than me because they can sometimes be an absolute ****ing nightmare, you wouldn't believe the hell this guy has single handedly caused the people around us over the years, pond-gate is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePlant View Post
[...]

That sounds very similar to something that happened a few weeks ago in my life, although mine is not related to the beautiful world of gardens.

In this case my child fell over in my garden and landed in the pond, he survived but despite him insisting he fell the father in me took over and I rightly presumed my neighbour had pushed him in.

So the next day, I looked out the window to see next door's 6 year old girl and a couple of her friends playing next to their pond. Understandably I fetched my machine gun and shot them all dead.

Needless to say the cnut never attacked my kid again.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Seeds of Love's Avatar
Registered User

Location: in the Garden

Not sure about a couple of the post on here but.....

I have a pond next to my shed, it's stocked with about 20 comet goldfish.
Here is some advice I'd like to share about ponds, I hope it is of use:

Buy a good quality pond liner, the best you can afford. lining the pond with bin-bags instead of a liner is a cheap way of making a pond but it's unlikely to last very long.

Feed fish sparingly as too much food will cloud the water.

Also herons can decimate the contents of your pond, so I strongly recommend an electrified barbed wire fence, this will keep out herons, ducks and sea eagles. It will also protect the pond from falling children, who can cause major damage to bull-rushes, water lilies and other aquatic plant life.

I have fitted my pond with a fountain to aerate the water and also because the sound of running water gets the lady next door really horny, she is now a regular visitor to my shed when her husband is at work.

Most important, sit back, watch your fish swimming about and relax. Ponds are fantastic.

P.S if any of the ladies who post on here would like to view my pond or shed then send me a private message with a photo of yourself.

Rate This Thread: