Old 27-07-2005, 09:26 PM
uvdoc

Default bad green water

Well im over it I have tryed every thing lots and lots of plants, tetra uv
light 50 % water change Tetra stuff for treating green water, I change the
pads in my bio filter ever day and no luck still green cloudy water guess I
will have to just empty the pond clean it and start all over and hope that
works.have been doing all of the above for almost 2 months now and no
improvement Jim............In Virginia

Old 27-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Gareee©

"uvdoc" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well im over it I have tryed every thing lots and lots of plants, tetra uv
light 50 % water change Tetra stuff for treating green water, I change the
pads in my bio filter ever day and no luck still green cloudy water guess
will have to just empty the pond clean it and start all over and hope that
works.have been doing all of the above for almost 2 months now and no
improvement Jim............In Virginia

Depends what you call lots and lots of plants... they should cover at least
1/3 of your pond... Water lettuce is what cured my greenwater after 3
months.

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 27-07-2005, 10:18 PM
ferd

Try barley straw. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

You put it in an area that the water circulates through, and just let it
decompose. The enzymes kill the "pea soup" effect. I have a rather large
pond - 40' x 50'~ 20,000 gals. I use a couple flakes of barley straw off of
a bale every 3 months.

DG in Colorado

nk.net...

Old 27-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Reel Mckoi

"uvdoc" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well im over it I have tryed every thing lots and lots of plants, tetra uv
light 50 % water change Tetra stuff for treating green water, I change the
pads in my bio filter ever day and no luck still green cloudy water guess
will have to just empty the pond clean it and start all over and hope that
works.have been doing all of the above for almost 2 months now and no
improvement Jim............In Virginia

=======================
Have you any idea where all the nutrients feeding this algae are coming
from? The only ponds I ever saw that stayed green all summer were very
over-populated with fish. I'm not saying you have too many fish, but
*something* is feeding your algae.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 27-07-2005, 10:54 PM
kathy

It is good to know thine enemy.
So I'll post the algae primer and suggest
no more water changes (10 to 15% only)
and no more chemicals.

ALGAE PRIMER
Algae is normal and natural and needed by the lower
end species in your pond. One of the bulding blocks
of life. Our problem is when things get out of balance,
very easy in backyard ponds, and algae goes gonzo...

Green Water is caused by single cell free floating suspended in the
water column algae. String algae is long, flowing, likes moving water
and has some body to it. Substrate algae is like a fuzzy green sweater
and grows on rocks, liners, plant baskets, and is considered a good
algae as it keeps the suspended and string algae at bay. It also hosts
lots of tiny zoo plankton, insect larvae, worms and other tasties that
are good for fish to consume
along with their veggies (the algae).

ALL algae thrives on sun, fresh water, fish waste, fertilized run off,
rotting plants and blown in dirt. In new ponds and spring ponds algae
is always the first thing to start growing.

The best defense against algae is to have
LOTS of plants to compete for the nutrients,
few fish,
not overfeeding those fish,
some shade,
blocking run off (fertizler from the lawn, dirt etc.)
and cleaning up debris (dead plants, guk on the bottom).

Do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae to
feed the next algae bloom. Gently remove string algae. Don't worry
about fuzzy algae that grows on the sides of things, the fish will
eat it up if they are not overfed.

Most algae blooms will pass within a couple of weeks.
Time and patience is key.
Remember patience...
and plants.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week ~ shoot the heron?

Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 27-07-2005, 11:34 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:26:43 GMT, "uvdoc" wrote:

Well im over it I have tryed every thing lots and lots of plants, tetra uv
light 50 % water change Tetra stuff for treating green water, I change the
pads in my bio filter ever day and no luck still green cloudy water guess I
will have to just empty the pond clean it and start all over and hope that
works.have been doing all of the above for almost 2 months now and no
improvement Jim............In Virginia

50% water changes are a no, no for green water, same with using additives
that supposedly treat green water, unless they're bacteria/enzyme product
with no herbicide in them. Better, would be to give us your water quality
parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, KH. Best, would be to fill out the Sick
Fish/Pond Form, which I renew every so often, but can be found by searching
rec.ponds in Google for: Sick Fish/Pond Form.

Fill that out so we can see the big picture and I just bet we can beat the
greenies. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Roy

I cure my initial green water in a matter of hours using potassium
permagante and burn out all the excessive junk algae thrives on, and
an occassional dose of aluminum sulphate (Baraclear P-80) My
naturalpond water has been nice and clear to over 4 feet all summer
long so far..........
The more feed thats fed, the more accumulated nutrients from water
changes, polen, dust, and a host of other things all adds to algaes
menue to grow from..Nuke it with PP and settle for some tea colored
water for a couple or three days then enjoy some clear clean water if
it was nuked right with PP. I'm sure lots won't agree with my method,
but it works for me.....and works mavelous.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:07:46 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

==="uvdoc" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
=== Well im over it I have tryed every thing lots and lots of plants, tetra uv
=== light 50 % water change Tetra stuff for treating green water, I change the
=== pads in my bio filter ever day and no luck still green cloudy water guess
=== I
=== will have to just empty the pond clean it and start all over and hope that
=== works.have been doing all of the above for almost 2 months now and no
=== improvement Jim............In Virginia
===
===Depends what you call lots and lots of plants... they should cover at least
===1/3 of your pond... Water lettuce is what cured my greenwater after 3
===months.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 28-07-2005, 12:27 AM
paul

Is your filter the right size. Maybe too much sun light. I used an umbrella
for a temporary measure till the pond started to grow.I found out the filter
i had was too small. I made the skippy filter and that cured all.Put in a
search for Skippy filter and you will get the links you need to build it.It
is so simple and so effective my pond is doing just great even through these
hot 95+ days here in N.J.
nk.net...