Old 29-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Heather

Default Racoons killed Lotus

Hi all,

Well the racoons trashed all four leaves of my baby lotus and not a leaf for
three weeks now. Assume it is a gonner. We have now created a chicken wire
cover for the lotus tub.

Does anyone in SW Ontario want to trade a piece of lotus for a green taro
and a purple taro? Let me know if you have some you can spare. Thanks,

Heather

Old 29-07-2005, 07:35 PM
gene

Not likely you can start now. Lotuses are very sensitive to being moved
unless they are dormant, and even then they can be a pain in the neck.
I also had mine eaten by racoons, and started over with lilies.
Next year it's going to be chicken wire over the pond and rat traps
around it, and I'll try again with a lotus.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Heather

One of my husband's favorite lines when I complain about the blasted coons
is -- "Rent a gun and buy a bullet!"

Getting tempting for sure.

Heather

PS Yes I know I can't really shoot them.

oups.com...

Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Heather" wrote in message
.. .
One of my husband's favorite lines when I complain about the blasted coons
is -- "Rent a gun and buy a bullet!"

Getting tempting for sure.

Heather

PS Yes I know I can't really shoot them.

==================================
Try those Have-A-Heart traps. They really do work. Relocate the little
stinker about 20 miles away.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
gene

Those racoons are really cute little things that carry rabies and a
host of other parasites and germs that can infect humans, pets, and
wildlife that contact them or their droppings. They are the wildlife
equivalent of teenage hoodlums. And they are far from endangered. If
I had a gun I would feel comfortable using it on them. As it is, I
encourage them to eat the anti-coagulants that I happen to leave
around. And not just because they ate my lotuses, their fifty dollar
bananas.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Reel Mckoi

"gene" wrote in message
oups.com...
Those racoons are really cute little things that carry rabies and a
host of other parasites and germs that can infect humans, pets, and
wildlife that contact them or their droppings. They are the wildlife
equivalent of teenage hoodlums. And they are far from endangered. If
I had a gun I would feel comfortable using it on them. As it is, I
encourage them to eat the anti-coagulants that I happen to leave
around. And not just because they ate my lotuses, their fifty dollar
bananas.

We removed the little pond out by the road because there was no way to keep
them out of it. Since I'm in a rural area we can't get rid of them. For
every one relocated (or removed in some way) another takes it's place in a
few days. Our new neighbor's two huge tom cats have finally made inroads on
the overpopulation of squirrels and rabbits, but they don't even look twice
at the coons.