Old 01-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Pam

Default Algae from a different point of view

Good evening,

Today for the first time all season I can see the bottom of my pond. It was
just a matter of waiting and letting nature take care of the algae.

I just read an article on the MS State University website about new
recommendations for fertilizing our state's catfish ponds. It seems they
want all the algae they can get in commercial growing ponds, and for exactly
the same reasons that rec.ponders detest the stuff.

Here's the link if anyone is interested!
Pam

http://msucares.com/news/print/agnews/an05/050707.html

Old 01-08-2005, 01:08 AM
kathy

And they have the same problem backyard
pondkeepers do - overstocking.
We do it because we
- don't know any better
- we want more pretty fish

They do it to maximize profits.

And both try to manage algae production one
way or the other!

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 01-08-2005, 01:58 AM
George

"Pam" wrote in message
.. .
Good evening,

Today for the first time all season I can see the bottom of my pond. It
was just a matter of waiting and letting nature take care of the algae.

I just read an article on the MS State University website about new
recommendations for fertilizing our state's catfish ponds. It seems they
want all the algae they can get in commercial growing ponds, and for
exactly the same reasons that rec.ponders detest the stuff.

Here's the link if anyone is interested!
Pam

http://msucares.com/news/print/agnews/an05/050707.html

The only algae problem I ever really have (and it isn't really a problem at
all) is in areas where the fish can't reach. Otherwise, they just eat it
all up. I go to the pond in the mornings to check everything out, and they
are (mostly the goldfish do this) usually on one side or another of the
pond, and look for all the world like aquatic lawn mowers. I get a small
bloom in the spring and in the fall (either before the leaves on my
neighbors's huge oak tree come out, or after they've all fallen - more
sunlight surely triggers the growth). During the summer, what algae I have
is restricted to a short, thin coating (1/2 inch) on the walls of the
pond, and a thick coating among the rocks around the waterfall area (where
the fish cannot reach).