Old 05-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Bill Stock

Default Turtle prices - just curious

I was in the LFS the other day buying some overpriced plants when I saw a
tank full of turtles. They were the infamous Red Eared Sliders, so I took a
closer look. Then I saw the price, $40 Cdn. Holy Catfish, they didn't look
that interesting!

Old 05-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I was in the LFS the other day buying some overpriced plants when I saw a
tank full of turtles. They were the infamous Red Eared Sliders, so I took a
closer look. Then I saw the price, $40 Cdn. Holy Catfish, they didn't look
that interesting!

==============================
From the prices I saw for them online that doesn't seem all that outrageous.
I thought it was illegal to sell them in pet stores. I never see them here
anywhere and we have plenty of pet stores, pond shops, and aquarium stores.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 05-08-2005, 03:11 AM
kathy

Larger turtles can be sold in pet
stores. Four inches and up.
Little ones can't be sold because
some child somewhere put the turtle
in his mouth. Honestly!

Turtles will not stick around if they
are not inclined. $40 is a lot to spend
if they want to wander off.

Plus the whole argument about introducing
a turtle from some where else and maybe
setting your local population to some kind
of strange and exotic turtle disease.

Well, it could happen, just like your five
year old gulping down the pet turtle!

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 05-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Bill Stock

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larger turtles can be sold in pet
stores. Four inches and up.
Little ones can't be sold because
some child somewhere put the turtle
in his mouth. Honestly!

I'm afraid these were the 1.5" variety like I had as a kid. I wouldn't feel
so bad about paying $40 for a 4" turtle.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larger turtles can be sold in pet
stores. Four inches and up.
Little ones can't be sold because
some child somewhere put the turtle
in his mouth. Honestly!

I'm afraid these were the 1.5" variety like I had as a kid. I wouldn't
feel so bad about paying $40 for a 4" turtle.

===================
You won't believe how fast they grow. Fred showed up in our pond in early
spring as a tiny green turtle. We don't know how he got in through the
netting.You should see him now!!! He's at least 4 to 5" long (his shell)
and has turned brown. He goes bananas over Catfish food and now eats
several pellets every day. He grabs them when they soften a little, rips
them apart and gulps the bits down. He can't leave now because of the new
fence and netting over the pond he chose to live in. We tried moving him to
the bigger pond but he found his way back to the 800 gallon one on his own -
so he/she can stay there now. :-)

Old 05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
axeman

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larger turtles can be sold in pet
stores. Four inches and up.
Little ones can't be sold because
some child somewhere put the turtle
in his mouth. Honestly!

I'm afraid these were the 1.5" variety like I had as a kid. I wouldn't
feel so bad about paying $40 for a 4" turtle.

I saw ones about that size at the Big Als in Oakville. I believe they were
about $35. The price surprised me too!

Jacqui

Old 05-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Roy

Petco has them about 4 to 5 inch sizes for $34.95 and the larger 5 to
6" is about 5 bucks more..........in the USA is against the law to
sell turtles smaller than IIRC 4" due to salmonella risks.....I
remember as a youngin, all the stores in town like the old 5 and 10
cent stores (Woolco, JJ Newberries, and Kresgees used to sell them
with fancy painted designs on their shells and the little turtle bowl
with an island complete with a plastic palm tree. IIRC the turtles
cost about half a buck back then...... Come on down to my pond and
get all you want in all sizes..........

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:27:22 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

===I was in the LFS the other day buying some overpriced plants when I saw a
===tank full of turtles. They were the infamous Red Eared Sliders, so I took a
===closer look. Then I saw the price, $40 Cdn. Holy Catfish, they didn't look
===that interesting!
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 05-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Priscilla McCullough

Roy you just brought back memories!!! I remember having one of those little
turtles and the little bowl with the island. hahaha
I remember one day taking my turtle outside like I always did except this
time I went to play ball with the dog we had and when I went to get my
turtle is was gone.
:-(
I remember I cried and cried. My momma went to buy another one and they had
stopped selling them by then.
Priss

Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 AM
Bill Stock

"axeman" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larger turtles can be sold in pet
stores. Four inches and up.
Little ones can't be sold because
some child somewhere put the turtle
in his mouth. Honestly!

I'm afraid these were the 1.5" variety like I had as a kid. I wouldn't
feel so bad about paying $40 for a 4" turtle.

I saw ones about that size at the Big Als in Oakville. I believe they
were about $35. The price surprised me too!

Jacqui

Yep,that's where I saw it, Big Als Mississauga. I think my next career will
be gentleman turtle farmer or Java Moss cultivator!

Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Roy you just brought back memories!!! I remember having one of those little
turtles and the little bowl with the island. hahaha

And let's not forget the plastic palm tree. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 07-08-2005, 05:25 AM
Charles

wrote:

I was in the LFS the other day buying some overpriced plants when I saw a
tank full of turtles. They were the infamous Red Eared Sliders, so I took a
closer look. Then I saw the price, $40 Cdn. Holy Catfish, they didn't look
that interesting!

saw this:

http://www.turtlesale.com/pond-turtles1.html

Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Charles

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 07:27:59 -0500, Phyllis and Jim Hurley
wrote:

The snapper is amazing. 'Make this part of your family!' The gut has a
sense of humor. Make snappy part of your family and your children will
lack fingers or hands.

JIm

Maybe it should read "make part of your family part of this."

just curious torgo Roses 5 04-03-2004 07:29 PM
Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 28-07-2003 11:03 PM
Now totally off-topic :-) [Was: Just Curious] Phred Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
Just Curious Iris Cohen Plant Science 12 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
Just curious, for now Ted Byers Orchids 4 15-02-2003 10:27 PM