Old 21-08-2005, 08:37 PM
JGW

Default buffers, salt, and plants

I've been adding a lot of baking soda as a buffer. I've been checking
the salt level in my pond, and it doesn't show any change. I don't
want to kill my plants.

Does anybody know whether most salt test kits test for sodium,
chloride, or both? Is it the sodium in salt that kills plants?

Any reason I can't use powdered magnesium/calcium carbonate to
increase alkalinity as long as my general hardness is also low?
Old 21-08-2005, 09:34 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:37:41 -0700, JGW wrote:

I've been adding a lot of baking soda as a buffer. I've been checking
the salt level in my pond, and it doesn't show any change. I don't
want to kill my plants.

Does anybody know whether most salt test kits test for sodium,
chloride, or both? Is it the sodium in salt that kills plants?

Any reason I can't use powdered magnesium/calcium carbonate to
increase alkalinity as long as my general hardness is also low?

I can't explain the chemistry, but the baking soda isn't going to affect
your plants, except make them better able to suck up nutrients. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 21-08-2005, 10:32 PM
RichToyBox

The salt test kit does not measure baking soda levels, so I guess it
measures only the chloride level. Baking soda would be measured by the KH
(Carbonate Hardness) test. The value should be above 80 for all ponds and
above 100 if you are using a bead filter. The bacteria need carbonates to
help digest the ammonia and nitrite, and so it will decrease. The
carbonates also stabilize the pH, preventing wide swings by providing the
buffering capacity. The use of calcium carbonate (limestone), or calcium
magnesium carbonate (dolomitic limestone) will help if the GH (General
Hardness) is also low, but both are somewhat insoluble. Calcium carbonate
is more soluble than calcium magnesium carbonate, so would be the better
choice.
--
RichToyBox

Old 23-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Elaine T

JGW wrote:
I've been adding a lot of baking soda as a buffer. I've been checking
the salt level in my pond, and it doesn't show any change. I don't
want to kill my plants.

Does anybody know whether most salt test kits test for sodium,
chloride, or both? Is it the sodium in salt that kills plants?

Any reason I can't use powdered magnesium/calcium carbonate to
increase alkalinity as long as my general hardness is also low?

I'm not an experienced ponder, but wouldn't seashells or crushed coral
work to add hardness and alkalinity? Plants require some Ca++ and Mg++
anyway.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 23-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Elaine T wrote:

JGW wrote:
I've been adding a lot of baking soda as a buffer. I've been checking
the salt level in my pond, and it doesn't show any change. I don't
want to kill my plants.

Does anybody know whether most salt test kits test for sodium,
chloride, or both? Is it the sodium in salt that kills plants?

Any reason I can't use powdered magnesium/calcium carbonate to
increase alkalinity as long as my general hardness is also low?

I'm not an experienced ponder, but wouldn't seashells or crushed coral
work to add hardness and alkalinity? Plants require some Ca++ and Mg++
anyway.

You're right - I think JGW's concerned about the possibility of raising
general hardness too much. If it's low to begin with, I wouldn't worry.
--
derek

Salt and tadpoles (and a long explanation) Rodney Pont Ponds 19 09-06-2004 06:46 AM
non-phosphate buffers? Pittie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 31-12-2003 08:40 PM
CO2 Controller and Buffers MJB Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 08-10-2003 11:02 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Salt and plants? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:20 AM