Old 12-03-2003, 02:57 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Skimmer Styles

I understand there are two types of skimmers on the market. The first is
mounted at the edge of the pond, and the other is mount in the pond at water
surface level. Is this correct? What are the pro's and con's of both?

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:20 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

I understand there are two types of skimmers on the market. The first is
mounted at the edge of the pond, and the other is mount in the pond at water
surface level. Is this correct? What are the pro's and con's of both?

Well, I have the one mounted at pond's edge. I allows easy access to clean
the netting, a good place to put my pump (protected from large pieces by the
pre-filter), it houses my float valve for easy filling and was simple to
install while I was building my pond. I don't know that much about the
other variety, but how do they allow for cleaning and connecting to
plumbing? They seem almost a better solution for a retro fit of an older
pond.

Joe

Old 12-03-2003, 09:00 PM
~ jan

BenignVanilla wrote:
I understand there are two types of skimmers on the market. snip
What are the pro's and con's of both?

Well, I have the one mounted at pond's edge. I allows easy access to clean
the netting, a good place to put my pump (protected from large pieces by the
pre-filter), it houses my float valve for easy filling and was simple to
install while I was building my pond. I don't know that much about the
other variety, but how do they allow for cleaning and connecting to
plumbing? They seem almost a better solution for a retro fit of an older
pond. Joe

Hi Joe,

You can see the other variety and how we connected it into the plumbing of
both an old pond and 2 new ponds. Click on my filter, lily pond, and demon
pond on my website. The lily pond shows the actual connection, the demon
pond shows it in the pond. Not to get confused though as to how we maintain
it in the middle of the pond, we had to do that as this is in a public
park, and we didn't want it walking away. We have a long pole with hook for
the cooler months, but once the water is warm and the lilies need tending
we take care of it at those times. Otherwise mine are close to the side so
I can just reach in for the basket.

BV, Joe has given you the pros of the side mounted skimmer, one of the cons
and this is based on creative design is, some folks find them hard to
hide... I think those are the ones that are like pool skimmers though and
not the one Joe has that is meant for a pond and similar to the Aquascape
skimmer.(?) Another con with the side mounts is that there is an optimum
level at which the skimmer works best, too high and draw isn't as good
(unless the skimmer is the only outlet) too low and it doesn't draw at all,
obviousily. ;o)

The pros of the No Nitch skimmers are the ring floats so draw is always
even with a 6" leeway for up or down based on the water level. Too high it
could float off, too low and you're either not checking your pond often
enough or you have a leak. ;o) Easy to install, imo, with no creative
hiding at the side. Con, it is small and could never handle fall leaves, so
the pond must be covered. Con, you do have a black ring showing in the
pond, but it not very noticeable.

I think the No-Nitch skimmer is a must for small ponds that want a skimmer,
the side mounts can usually be hidden better along side a large pond, imo.
One piece of advice, figure out which way the wind blows to help collect
stuff at or around the skimmer, otherwise the wind wins. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 13-03-2003, 12:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
snip
The pros of the No Nitch skimmers are the ring floats so draw is always
even with a 6" leeway for up or down based on the water level. Too high it
could float off, too low and you're either not checking your pond often
enough or you have a leak. ;o) Easy to install, imo, with no creative
hiding at the side. Con, it is small and could never handle fall leaves,

so
the pond must be covered. Con, you do have a black ring showing in the
pond, but it not very noticeable.

I think the No-Nitch skimmer is a must for small ponds that want a

skimmer,
the side mounts can usually be hidden better along side a large pond, imo.
One piece of advice, figure out which way the wind blows to help collect
stuff at or around the skimmer, otherwise the wind wins. ;o) ~ jan

The skimmer is my only worry right now. Getting installed just
right...sounds like it will be difficult...Didn't someone have a web page
for a DIY version somewhere?

BV.

Old 13-03-2003, 04:20 PM
~ jan

The skimmer is my only worry right now. Getting installed just
right...sounds like it will be difficult...Didn't someone have a web page
for a DIY version somewhere? BV.

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm Click on Skimmer in the index
to the left. ~ jan )

Old 13-03-2003, 05:34 PM
joe

BenignVanilla wrote:

The skimmer is my only worry right now. Getting installed just
right...sounds like it will be difficult.

I didn't find it that hard. The only things you want to be careful of is:

Make sure it is level.

Make sure you know where the water level in your pond is going to be and put
the skimmer at the right level to match (according to your skimmers
instructions). A water level would help here.

Get the base solid so there is minimal settling.

Joe

Old 13-03-2003, 07:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
The skimmer is my only worry right now. Getting installed just
right...sounds like it will be difficult...Didn't someone have a web page
for a DIY version somewhere? BV.

http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm Click on Skimmer in the index
to the left. ~ jan )

Thanks...