Old 01-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default OT Hurleys made it through the hurricane

We are all live and well. That is the good news. The pond did
fine. More good news.

Jackson made national TV for the 5 hour gas lines. There are
almost no restaurants or gas stations open.

Our home just got power back. Amazing to see the difference it
makes. I spent yesterday with my chainsaw cleaning up and stacking
the trees that fell in my yard and in my 68 yr old neighbor's yard.
Pine and Oak. Today I will use my tractor to pull the big logs I
couldn't move be hand. One tree is 40+ inches thick, so I can't
cut it with my 14" chain saw. Eventually, I will have to rent a bigger
one.

I have a large cedar leaning on my power line. Hasn't broken it nd
we are way way down on the power company's repair list. We will
just wait to see if the house power mast and the transformer pole
can hold the strain.

The schools here are scheduled to start the day after Labor Day.
They are not sure whether it can happen. NO kids will lose their
whole term.

The seminary does not have water or power. The faculty with either
are housing students. We have four with us. My colleagues in the
MFT department are housing up to 11 people (including other faculty
members). We have all made our homes available for wash and
showers. Kind of like a college dorm.

The New Orleans flooding from Lake Pontchartrain ran directly
through our son Jim's neighborhood . Remember the image of the
yacht club on fire? A quarter mile from my my son Jim's home. When you
see the shots of
the break in the canal, his house is on the East side, where the
water flooded. He and I shared a boat that was in his back yard.
Probably not existing now... The copter passed over his home. A
small part of the roof was visible. That is all. Bulldozer or
contractor? We shall see in a month or so. He is safe in Baton
Rouge with friends.

Some of our friends had houses down by Biloxi in Pass
Christian...now a slab. Hard to believe!

Jim Hurley
Old 01-09-2005, 11:29 PM
kathy

So glad to hear you and your family and
extended family are okay!
Hang in there and keep in touch!

kathy :-))))

Old 02-09-2005, 01:02 AM
RichToyBox

Glad to hear that you made it. Sorry to hear of your son's place, but at
least he is safe. Things can be replaced, people can't. Leave the tree on
the power lines for someone that is equiped to take it down without risking
electrocution.
--
RichToyBox

Old 02-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Bonnie NJ

It's good to hear from you!!! Now I'm waiting to hear from a friend in Moss
Point, MS. The news from there hasn't been too good.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-09-2005, 04:13 AM
Roy

Glad to hear things are ok.....As for the tree, do as Rich
suggests...leave it for those being paid to remove trees from lines.
Power or no power it could be a risky situation. The utility company
will get to it.

Again glad to hear things are good.

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

That is good news. Stay safe. BTW, save that pine and oak. Make some
woodworker a deal. Heck, they might even haul it off for you while also
giving you some cash!

Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Roy

On 02 Sep 2005 05:12:30 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

===That is good news. Stay safe. BTW, save that pine and oak. Make some
===woodworker a deal. Heck, they might even haul it off for you while also
===giving you some cash!
===

snip
With as many trees that are down and places destrouyed, odds are you
would be hard pressed top get anyone to take time to get a storm
damaged tree. There is just literally thousands upon thousands of
trees down.......Cut it up for firewood, as it may be a necessary
thing this winter with the price of fuel oils and natural gas
increasing like they are......

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 02-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Thank you all for your concern.

Our city will come and pick up the refuse. We drag it to the roadside.
The big problem is a 48" trunk. hard to cut with a 14" saw. It takes
a set of cuts to get that far in. It is also really important to be
sure which way it will bend when it is cut. Otherwise, the blade will
be bound in the trunk.

The fish don't seem the least bit bothered by the situation!

It is interesting to see how well MS has done with its repair as
compared to LA. Water makes a difference!

Jim

Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
We are all live and well. That is the good news. The pond did fine.
More good news.

========================
The BEST news is that you all made it! :-))
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Robin

[...]

I live in Mobile, about 1 mile off the bay. A friend of mine lived right on
the bay and even his slab is gone.

Hurricane Isabelle RichToyBox Ponds 2 05-10-2003 07:22 PM
Hurricane reported in Richmond area FBCS Ponds 2 20-09-2003 12:46 AM
Hurricane Isabel's possible path Anne Lurie Ponds 30 19-09-2003 11:38 PM
[IBC] hurricane preparation (was "yamadori" boxwood) Alan Walker Bonsai 3 15-09-2003 09:43 PM