Old 02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Lois

Default Winterizing Advice

I live in northeast Ohio right in the snowbelt where we often get a
couple feet or more of snow. I'm confused as to what to buy for my
pond to protect my fish during the winter. Should I buy an aeration
kit or a de-icer or both? What size should I buy for my 2500 gallon
pond?

Thanks,
Lois
Old 03-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Lois" wrote in message
news:1125664366.9efe71a96e78f94726a5f0be2f16bf2f@t eranews...
I live in northeast Ohio right in the snowbelt where we often get a
couple feet or more of snow. I'm confused as to what to buy for my
pond to protect my fish during the winter. Should I buy an aeration
kit or a de-icer or both? What size should I buy for my 2500 gallon
pond?

=====================
Buy whatever it will take to keep a small hole in the ice to allow gases to
escape. I use inexpensive aquarium heaters dangling down from a flat of
floating Styrofoam. I cut a hole in the Styrofoam and poke the heater
through. Cost? About $10 and they last for years.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Lois

x-no-archive: yes

"Lois" wrote in message
news:1125664366.9efe71a96e78f94726a5f0be2f16bf2f@ teranews...
I live in northeast Ohio right in the snowbelt where we often get a
couple feet or more of snow. I'm confused as to what to buy for my
pond to protect my fish during the winter. Should I buy an aeration
kit or a de-icer or both? What size should I buy for my 2500 gallon
pond?

=====================
Buy whatever it will take to keep a small hole in the ice to allow gases to
escape. I use inexpensive aquarium heaters dangling down from a flat of
floating Styrofoam. I cut a hole in the Styrofoam and poke the heater
through. Cost? About $10 and they last for years.

I think I will buy the Laguna Aeration kit. Anybody familiar with it?
Lois
Old 08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"Lois" wrote in message
news:1126175223.f786311506fd8f990c879798f21cb9ff@t eranews...
x-no-archive: yes

"Lois" wrote in message
news:1125664366.9efe71a96e78f94726a5f0be2f16bf2f @teranews...
I live in northeast Ohio right in the snowbelt where we often get a
couple feet or more of snow. I'm confused as to what to buy for my
pond to protect my fish during the winter. Should I buy an aeration
kit or a de-icer or both? What size should I buy for my 2500 gallon
pond?

=====================
Buy whatever it will take to keep a small hole in the ice to allow gases
escape. I use inexpensive aquarium heaters dangling down from a flat of
floating Styrofoam. I cut a hole in the Styrofoam and poke the heater
through. Cost? About $10 and they last for years.

I think I will buy the Laguna Aeration kit. Anybody familiar with it?
Lois

=============
I'm not, but anything that will keep an opening in the ice should work.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Lois

x-no-archive: yes

"Lois" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I think I've changed my mind again. LOL! Now I'm thinking of a
Supreme Mag pump moving water to keep an opening and a de-icer as a
backup. Maybe a bubbler also.
Lois

Winterizing John Ferman Ponds 2 23-11-2003 10:25 PM
winterizing lawn - HA HA Budys Here Gardening 1 18-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing advice for novices Jerome Gardening 2 02-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 06-01-2003 08:05 PM