Old 06-09-2005, 05:12 PM
kathy

Default pond report

Since my adventure in appendix land (an adventure
I do not recommend!) the poor ponds have been
neglected all to heck.

This weekend I did get eldest son out to remove
as much water lettuce and water hyacinth as he
could. Four water lettuce had multiplied into
bazillions, far out growing the water hyacinth
that went in later and didn't get the prime
sunny spots.

The pond is crystal clear to the bottom. But one
koi has some raised scales on his side. ak! First
time ever I've had a fish show any problem like
that. Unfortunately due to my continued wonkiness
there is going to be nothing we can do for him
but hope he gets better or remove him if he
doesn't make it. :-(((

The poor lilies are finally getting to see the sun,
they were grown over with water lettuce.

Remember the island, because I could not keep up
with replacing evaporating water the mini cattails
got all brown. The creeping jenny is going fine.
We'll probably have to lower Atlantis next spring.

Also the dang giant grasses have fallen over into
the pond. argh!!!

Plans are to have son still try and get more of the
floating tropicals out and weed the Frog Bog. DH and
I are making plans for spring cleaning and reducing the
stocking level. We want to make the pond even more self
sustaining though we don't plan on having a month like
this again! Both DH and I had surgery (DH on his knee) even
Rosie the dog had her pedicure that she has to have
knocked out as she will not let anyone trim her nails.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - water boatman
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Bonnie NJ

Our pond is crystal clear. It has trived even though it has been neglected
this year. DH has a second hospitalization and is still recovering. The
fish are fed regularly but no care has been given to the plants. The water
hyacinth had taken over the veggie filter, squeezing out the water celery!
Lily blooms have been sparse but frogs and fish are doing quite well.
The canaries have produced 5 offspring of varying colors. They fill the
yard and our home with wonderful songs.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Nedra

What a lovely surprise to hear from you Bonnie. Glad everything is
doing fine in your world.. in spite of DH's hospitalizations. Canaries
in your yard ... sounds so wonderful..

And Kathy, I hadn't heard about your and Jeff's surgery.
Happy that both of you are on the mend.

My ponds are clear - the lotus pond is in such a sad shape though -
waay too overgrown. A lack of dividing is the culprit. Thankfully I had
the koi pond redone! I really enjoy it and the koi.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Lotus pond:

Old 06-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Bonnie NJ

Hi Nedra,

Your koi pond makeover looks great!!!

--
Bonnie
NJ
oups.com...

Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
kathy

Hey Nedra and Bonnie!

Luckily our ponds can muddle along without
us for a while. Also very glad my two 20
yr olds are between quarters at school for
another two weeks - they've helped out
A LOT! And the baby can drive now. whew!

k :-)

OT-ish, trip report from Southern Oregon, pond oriented Ka30P Ponds 3 08-08-2004 08:42 PM
Shareholders Pond: March 2, 2004 Status Report BenignVanilla Ponds 0 02-03-2004 07:43 PM
Shareholders Pond: March 2, 2004 Status Report BenignVanilla Ponds 0 02-03-2004 07:19 PM
pond cleaning report ;-) K30a Ponds 10 29-04-2003 05:20 AM
Shareholders Pond, Status Report BenignVanilla Ponds 2 22-04-2003 10:08 PM