Old 18-09-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Biofilters and Salt level

Hello,
I have just started a new pond, my first one becoming too small for the
fish. I was advised to add salt to the new pond as a preventative for
stress when moving the fish. However, I have a problem with green water
now, and wonder if the biofilter is effected by the salt, in other
words, does the salt kill the beneficial bacteria? The water tests
with zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrates, but then it is 1200
gallons with only 5 goldfish and 5 koi (about 12 inches each). So what
could possibly be the reason for such green water? I have about 2/3
shade most of the day, and lots of under water plants, water lilies and
tall grasses. The biofilters have been cycling for about a month now,
and I have added several bottles of PondCare BioStarter. Any advice on
the salt question would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

Thanks very much in advance.

Old 18-09-2005, 06:13 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 18 Sep 2005 08:46:32 -0700, wrote:

Hello,
I have just started a new pond, my first one becoming too small for the
fish. I was advised to add salt to the new pond as a preventative for
stress when moving the fish. However, I have a problem with green water
now, and wonder if the biofilter is effected by the salt, in other
words, does the salt kill the beneficial bacteria?

Only if you burn it by putting the salt straight into the filter first
(some have been known to put it in skimmer which leads straight to the
bio-filter, not a good idea.) 13.3 ounces/100 gallons for 0.1%, btw.

The water tests
with zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrates, but then it is 1200
gallons with only 5 goldfish and 5 koi (about 12 inches each). So what
could possibly be the reason for such green water?

Our tests aren't sensitive enough to read the small amounts the algae is
consuming, and with green water it consumes it so fast that is why you're
getting zeros (assuming your tests are fairly new, not out of date, and
reading correctly).

I have about 2/3
shade most of the day, and lots of under water plants, water lilies and
tall grasses. The biofilters have been cycling for about a month now,
and I have added several bottles of PondCare BioStarter. Any advice on
the salt question would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

Thanks very much in advance.

I'll send this to your E-mail, this time, but normally I don't do that.
Kind of ruins the affect of doing or having a newsgroup. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

course choice. RHS level 2 or NCFE level 3? Binz United Kingdom 0 05-11-2012 08:04 PM
Normal salt level for koi pond ? Khoa Tran Ponds 4 14-08-2003 08:23 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
Koi Clay effect on Biofilters??? Steve J. Noll Ponds 2 14-04-2003 02:11 PM
When Can I check my salt level??! MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 6 13-04-2003 09:32 PM