Old 23-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Flashman

Default Rita and Goldfish - Move em?

We have a small (100 gallon) pond with two 5" koi and nine small goldfish.
Hurricane Rita is on its way, and may drop as much as 10" of rain here. We
are worried that the pond may overflow, but it is unlikely. We are
contemplating moving the fish to a 5 gallon pail with floating aquatic
plants. How do you think the fish would do in a bucket like that?

Thanks for any and all help.

Flash (we have plenty of our own water stocked up) Man
in Houston

Old 23-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Flashman" wrote in message
We have a small (100 gallon) pond with two 5" koi and nine small goldfish.
Hurricane Rita is on its way, and may drop as much as 10" of rain here. We
are worried that the pond may overflow, but it is unlikely. We are
contemplating moving the fish to a 5 gallon pail with floating aquatic
plants. How do you think the fish would do in a bucket like that?

$ They would rapidly suffocate. Also you have too many fish in your small
100 gallon pond. After the storm you may want to either put in a 1000
gallon pond or give some of your fish away. I hope you are aware that koi,
if healthy, can reach 3' long (yes, THREE FEET LONG) and need at least 100
to 200 gallons each to remain healthy. Gold fish reach 12" long and each
needs 20 to 30 gallons alone!

Thanks for any and all help.

Flash (we have plenty of our own water stocked up) Man
in Houston

$ Take care and good luck!
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 23-09-2005, 08:20 PM

get a bird net up and over the pond. if you can use heavy wood to hold the edges of
the netting down so it doesnt flap. above the surface is better. this will keep the
fish in. you cannot put them into a 5 gallon pail they will promptly run out of
oxygen. I know Jo Ann will go out between the arms of rain and pump water out (they
got their own generator). after it quits raining DO check the pH and the salt level
in the pond. you really must consider a bigger pond for these koi, they need 100
gallons each and minimum of 500 gallon pond. Ingrid

"Flashman" wrote:

We have a small (100 gallon) pond with two 5" koi and nine small goldfish.
Hurricane Rita is on its way, and may drop as much as 10" of rain here. We
are worried that the pond may overflow, but it is unlikely. We are
contemplating moving the fish to a 5 gallon pail with floating aquatic
plants. How do you think the fish would do in a bucket like that?

Thanks for any and all help.

Flash (we have plenty of our own water stocked up) Man
in Houston

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

When to stop feeding pond goldfish and can I take out filter and pump David Wright Ponds (moderated) 3 05-03-2012 12:32 PM
Comfrey -- to move or not move... FragileWarrior Gardening 7 16-08-2007 03:27 AM
Hurricane Rita steph Texas 6 28-09-2005 08:30 PM
[IBC] Rita and IBCers Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-09-2005 01:01 PM
[IBC] Rita Marty Haber Bonsai 0 24-09-2005 12:53 PM