Old 14-10-2005, 12:43 PM
2pods

Default Ping Jan Umbrella plants UK

In or out for the winter ?
Ponds are only 2' - 2.5' feet deep.

As I have no conservatory or greenhouse, if I take them in, can they be
treated as a houseplant with no immersion ?

Peter

Old 14-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Derek Broughton

2pods wrote:

In or out for the winter ?
Ponds are only 2' - 2.5' feet deep.

As I have no conservatory or greenhouse, if I take them in, can they be
treated as a houseplant with no immersion ?

A pond post! Out, definitely. I doubt an umbrella would survive even a
southern UK winter. Treat as a houseplant, keep in a warm sunny window,
and keep it wet. I used to keep them in the veggie filter I built for my
large (299gallon) aquarium (so completely submersed) but they don't have to
be that wet. They make good houseplants, though, because watering is so
easy :-) Most of my houseplants suffer from inadequate watering, so all I
keep are cactuses and pond plants.
--
derek
Old 14-10-2005, 02:14 PM
2pods

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
2pods wrote:

In or out for the winter ?
Ponds are only 2' - 2.5' feet deep.

As I have no conservatory or greenhouse, if I take them in, can they be
treated as a houseplant with no immersion ?

A pond post! Out, definitely. I doubt an umbrella would survive even a
southern UK winter. Treat as a houseplant, keep in a warm sunny window,
and keep it wet. I used to keep them in the veggie filter I built for my
large (299gallon) aquarium (so completely submersed) but they don't have
be that wet. They make good houseplants, though, because watering is so
easy :-) Most of my houseplants suffer from inadequate watering, so all I
keep are cactuses and pond plants.
--
derek

Thanks Derek

I'll have to look about the house as all sunny windows are yaken up with
Parrot's Feather, Water Lettuce, and Water Hyacinth in small tanks and
disused bottle gardens :-)

Peter

Old 14-10-2005, 03:34 PM
~ jan jjspond

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:14:10 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

I'll have to look about the house as all sunny windows are yaken up with
Parrot's Feather, Water Lettuce, and Water Hyacinth in small tanks and
disused bottle gardens :-)
Peter

I've found they make due with any window. Mine have survived well in front
of an eastern exposure window.... and you might make it easier on yourself
and space, as you don't need to bring the whole plant in if huge. I only
bring in a bit of mine and it is huge again by August. The year I brought
the whole plant in, the next season it was so big I was picking it up with
every bit of breeze. ~ jan

Old 14-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Derek Broughton

2pods wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
2pods wrote:

In or out for the winter ?

A pond post! Out, definitely. I doubt an umbrella would survive even a
southern UK winter. Treat as a houseplant, keep in a warm sunny window,
and keep it wet. I used to keep them in the veggie filter I built for my
large (299gallon) aquarium (so completely submersed) but they don't have

oops. Finger slip there - it was only 200gal! (not that it really matters).

be that wet. They make good houseplants, though, because watering is so
easy :-) Most of my houseplants suffer from inadequate watering, so all
I keep are cactuses and pond plants.

I'll have to look about the house as all sunny windows are yaken up with
Parrot's Feather, Water Lettuce, and Water Hyacinth in small tanks and
disused bottle gardens :-)

It doesn't need as much light as the Lettuce & Hyacinth. So don't worry too
much. I never could keep Water Hyacinth over the winter.
--
derek

Old 14-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Reel Mckoi

"2pods" wrote in message
In or out for the winter ?
Ponds are only 2' - 2.5' feet deep.

## Freezing will kill them.

As I have no conservatory or greenhouse, if I take them in, can they be
treated as a houseplant with no immersion ?

## I keep mine in a large sunny window sitting in a pan of water. I
fertilize it monthly.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 14-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Reel Mckoi

"2pods" wrote in message
I'll have to look about the house as all sunny windows are yaken up with
Parrot's Feather, Water Lettuce, and Water Hyacinth in small tanks and
disused bottle gardens :-)

==========================
Parrot's feather survives the cold, but brief winters we have here in TN
(zone 6). It goes under the water surface and ice if any, then pops back up
in the spring. I never bring it in.

Old 14-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan jjspond wrote:

I've found they make due with any window. Mine have survived well in front
of an eastern exposure window.... and you might make it easier on yourself
and space, as you don't need to bring the whole plant in if huge. I only
bring in a bit of mine and it is huge again by August. The year I brought
the whole plant in, the next season it was so big I was picking it up with
every bit of breeze. ~ jan

Oh yeah! I forgot that little detail. I compost most of mine :-)
--
derek