Old 15-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Broadback

Default "Dragonfly" behaviour

I'm,sure the proper name is not dragonfly, but that is what I called
them as a child, anyway they are insects about 8cm/3inch long, with
double wings found around water, good at hovering.
Just visited my month old pond and found a pair, one blue one brown
linked in tandem flying over the water in an apparently random manner.
The behaviour that puzzles me is that periodically the "Tail end
charlie" dips the tip of its body into the water, is it laying eggs?
Sorry to post on topic here about ponds. ;-)
Old 15-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Gail Futoran

"Broadback" wrote in message
I'm,sure the proper name is not dragonfly, but that is what I called them
as a child, anyway they are insects about 8cm/3inch long, with double
wings found around water, good at hovering.
Just visited my month old pond and found a pair, one blue one brown linked
in tandem flying over the water in an apparently random manner. The
behaviour that puzzles me is that periodically the "Tail end charlie" dips
the tip of its body into the water, is it laying eggs?
Sorry to post on topic here about ponds. ;-)

There's a neat picture at this site (scroll down):
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...donatoida.html
of a dragonfly engaging in the behavior you
describe.

A quick scan of the text didn't reveal any
obvious explanations, but there are links that
might help you.

I've been seeing small red-bodied dragonflies or
damselflies around lately, less of the blue or
green-bodied ones I've seen earlier this year.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 15-10-2005, 07:20 PM
~ jan jjspond

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:20:13 +0100, Broadback wrote:

I'm,sure the proper name is not dragonfly, but that is what I called
them as a child, anyway they are insects about 8cm/3inch long, with
double wings found around water, good at hovering.
Just visited my month old pond and found a pair, one blue one brown
linked in tandem flying over the water in an apparently random manner.
The behaviour that puzzles me is that periodically the "Tail end
charlie" dips the tip of its body into the water, is it laying eggs?
Sorry to post on topic here about ponds. ;-)

Dragonfly is the name and you've got the behavior right on. You might check
the archives of http://www.blogfromthebog.com/ ~ jan
Old 17-10-2005, 05:27 PM
San Diego Joe

"Broadback" wrote:

I'm,sure the proper name is not dragonfly, but that is what I called
them as a child, anyway they are insects about 8cm/3inch long, with
double wings found around water, good at hovering.
Just visited my month old pond and found a pair, one blue one brown
linked in tandem flying over the water in an apparently random manner.
The behaviour that puzzles me is that periodically the "Tail end
charlie" dips the tip of its body into the water, is it laying eggs?
Sorry to post on topic here about ponds. ;-)

Yup, laying eggs. Dragonflies are very cool.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

first dragonfly really ka30p Ponds 9 24-04-2004 12:06 AM
Apologies for "Mad" Bill Pal m er's annoying usenet behaviour. Twinkles Lawns 0 28-10-2003 08:42 PM
What type of dragonfly is this ? Neil McManus Ponds 2 07-09-2003 04:02 PM
New dragonfly Bob H Ponds 1 27-07-2003 01:22 AM
OT, Sorta: Dragonfly Nymphs LeeAnne Ponds 3 17-06-2003 01:56 PM