Old 18-03-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default When to use a check valve?

My current pond design (It hasn't changed in about 8 weeks. Those of you
that follow the BV pond escapade, know what kind of feat that is) is going
to be about 2200 gallons, with about a 300 gallon VF. Upstream from the VF,
I plan to have a pump house that will draw from the VF and empty into the
main pond. The main pond will feed the VF via a skimmer and a bottom drain.

Should I have a check valve in the output pipe to prevent water from
returning via the send? Everything in this system will be roughly on the
same level, so I do not think I will have problems with drainage if the pump
dies.

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 18-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
My current pond design (It hasn't changed in about 8 weeks. Those of you
that follow the BV pond escapade, know what kind of feat that is) is going
to be about 2200 gallons, with about a 300 gallon VF. Upstream from the VF,
I plan to have a pump house that will draw from the VF and empty into the
main pond. The main pond will feed the VF via a skimmer and a bottom drain.

Should I have a check valve in the output pipe to prevent water from
returning via the send? Everything in this system will be roughly on the
same level, so I do not think I will have problems with drainage if the pump
dies.

--
BenignVanilla

I love to read your pond plans. I still have the first
sketch of mine. It reminds me of all the changes I did
after the first plans were finished. If you look at my
web page you'll see what I mean.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Hmm, not quite sure what you mean. My check valve is between the intake and
the pump. That way, the water doesn't drain back into the pond and the pump
doesn't have to be re-primed (pain in the butt!) every time I shut the
system down. However your system is set up, that's where you want to put it:
between the water source and the pump. Alternatively, I *don't* have a check
valve between the waterfall and the pump/filter/UV; when I take the lid off
the leaf basket on the pump, the water back-flows, so I have to be quick.
Hope that offers some insight.

Lee

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 18-03-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

Well I am glad someone other then me is enjoying this. *laugh* I hope to put
a page up soon with all of my early sketches, notes, etc. I have been
working on it, but want to get some more done before I post it. Hopefully in
a few months...

BV.

Old 18-03-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Hmm, not quite sure what you mean. My check valve is between the intake

and
the pump. That way, the water doesn't drain back into the pond and the

pump
doesn't have to be re-primed (pain in the butt!) every time I shut the
system down. However your system is set up, that's where you want to put

it:
between the water source and the pump. Alternatively, I *don't* have a

check
valve between the waterfall and the pump/filter/UV; when I take the lid

off
the leaf basket on the pump, the water back-flows, so I have to be quick.
Hope that offers some insight.

It does...thanks. I don't think I will need a check valve in my system, as I
will not have a waterfall. We plan to install one next year as phase 2, but
that will be purely for aesthetics, and will be driven by it's own pump.

BV.

Old 18-03-2003, 08:20 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
My current pond design (It hasn't changed in about 8 weeks. Those of you
that follow the BV pond escapade, know what kind of feat that is) is going
to be about 2200 gallons, with about a 300 gallon VF. Upstream from the VF,
I plan to have a pump house that will draw from the VF and empty into the
main pond. The main pond will feed the VF via a skimmer and a bottom drain.

Should I have a check valve in the output pipe to prevent water from
returning via the send? Everything in this system will be roughly on the
same level, so I do not think I will have problems with drainage if the pump
dies.

--
BenignVanilla
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.
tibetanbeefgarden.com
x-no-archive: yes

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

sounds a lot like myh setup pumps in pond outlet in bog

i dont have checkvalves, I just fill the pond veggiefiler/bog

and when the pumps are running the excess flows back to the main pond

hope this helps

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 18-03-2003, 09:33 PM
RichToyBox

BV,

If the pump return to the pond is above water level, as in a waterfall, then
a check valve would not be needed. If the return is below water level, then
the top pond and bottom pond will try to equalize, with the potential of
overflow of the veggie filter and loss of water. Due to your design using a
very small difference in elevation, a bottom drain and skimmer, your pond
and veggie filter will equalize whether there is a check valve or not. For
you, I would say that you don't need one.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 19-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Steve J. Noll

If you don't need one, don't use one.
They have relatively high flow loss. See:
http://www.webspace4me.net/~mikehill...formulae2.html
But perhaps you need one in your situation.

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
Old 19-03-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
BV,

If the pump return to the pond is above water level, as in a waterfall,

then
a check valve would not be needed. If the return is below water level,

then
the top pond and bottom pond will try to equalize, with the potential of
overflow of the veggie filter and loss of water. Due to your design using

very small difference in elevation, a bottom drain and skimmer, your pond
and veggie filter will equalize whether there is a check valve or not.

For
you, I would say that you don't need one.

snip

I think I will be OK without one. I only need raise one edge of my main pond
up, and then the entire area will be level.

BV.

replacing check valve rb Lawns 2 20-04-2010 10:27 PM
honda harmony valve adjustment and tuneup? Procedure/valve clearance? Chris Miller Lawns 0 29-07-2005 02:25 AM
Gang valve after needle valve? Paulio629 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-04-2004 08:05 PM
What kind of Check Valve for CO2? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Cement to use/not to use around pond? IanQ Ponds 2 06-03-2003 09:52 AM