Old 17-11-2005, 02:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Sky-Catcher

Default filtering duck ponds

Does anyone have any advice on putting filtration onto a duck pond? I'm
thinking of building a pond to have some gold fish and ducks. It would be
about 20ftx20ft & 3ft deep.

thanks,

sky

Old 17-11-2005, 03:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Old 17-11-2005, 03:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Sky-Catcher" bobhope@nohope wrote in message
Does anyone have any advice on putting filtration onto a duck pond? I'm
thinking of building a pond to have some gold fish and ducks. It would be
about 20ftx20ft & 3ft deep.

==============================
Unless you only had a few ducks you'd need some super-filtration. They eat
and pass sloppy smelly waste constantly. A flow-through system would
probably be better.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 17-11-2005, 04:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
zirŠon

Ducks are quite messy, but its still doable. Bottom drains are a must.
Unless the majority if not all of the waste from the ducks are
removed, yur water will attain high quanities of nitrate and
phosphates, which lead to bacterial problems with fish, so a settle
ment chamber and dedicated filter cleaning and emptying of sediemnt or
settlement chamber is needed. Checkout koiphen.com, there are a few
there that have built ponds to house koi and ducks together and from
what I recall their systems seem to work just fine...Just register and
log in and ask about the koi ponds with ducks.....or just search for
ducks...Good info is there.

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:43:03 -0000, "Sky-Catcher" bobhope@nohope
wrote:

===Does anyone have any advice on putting filtration onto a duck pond? I'm
===thinking of building a pond to have some gold fish and ducks. It would be
===about 20ftx20ft & 3ft deep.
===
===thanks,
===
===sky
===

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 17-11-2005, 08:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Goldfish AND ducks seems a hard combination! Big pond needed and lotys of
circulation. How big do you expoect it to be?

Jim

Old 17-11-2005, 08:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Sky-Catcher

as i said about 20x20x3 ft
- how many ducks do you think I could have?

. ..

Old 17-11-2005, 08:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Sky-Catcher" bobhope@nohope wrote in message
as i said about 20x20x3 ft
- how many ducks do you think I could have?

=====================
That depends on your filtration and rate of water change or turnover. You
can start with 2 pair. Remember they do reproduce unless you make sure to
find those nests and eat a lot of duck eggs, which are delicious. :-)

Old 18-11-2005, 01:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Oops! If in doubt, read the post. Your size will not protect the goldfish
very well. Three feet and a 20 x 20 surface will be leave the fish with
little room to hide.

Jim

Old 18-11-2005, 01:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Old 18-11-2005, 04:44 AM posted to rec.ponds
zirŠon

As the lamer puffed and puffed into , the
polypropylene slipped over the keys to produce:

[...]

wrote:

[...]

g..interesting move SFB's, however one crucial flaw...*I* never
ever, that's NEVER..Top Post.
Soooo if you want to play that card you *will* have to comply with my
MO and format your post to the conventions.

Either way you lose, again weg
[or]
You could send me some CASH for the use of the nym??
err,, you do have some..cash?

--
zIR

response

Old 18-11-2005, 08:26 AM posted to rec.ponds
Sky-Catcher

not sure - advice greatfully received & plans, examples suggestions....

thanks