Old 20-11-2005, 10:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
paul

Default Winter, plants what do i do.

Hi, I have list pond plants i'd like over winter. How should i do it.

I Have: Ogan Sweet Flog
Purple Pickerweed
Rain Lily
Water Loosestrife and i have some parrots feather floating
around with some 4 leaf clover. Thank You..

Old 21-11-2005, 12:29 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"paul" wrote in message
Hi, I have list pond plants i'd like over winter. How should i do it.

I Have: Ogan Sweet Flog
Purple Pickerweed

## How cold is your winter? Here in zone 6 they winter over just fine
right where they are in the ponds.

Rain Lily

## Isn't this a garden plant? If you mean water lily they also winter over
without a problem. The tropicals can't be left outdoors in freezing
climates.

Water Loosestrife and i have some parrots feather floating
around with some 4 leaf clover. Thank You..

## These should winter over ok outdoors.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 21-11-2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds
paul

I'm in zones 2a through 7b Northeast. I read the label and it says wtaer
lily. Has grass like stuff that grows straight up with shoots of small white
lily type flowers. Should i cut away all foilage left on them,then sink'em?
Thanks........

Old 21-11-2005, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"paul" wrote in message
I'm in zones 2a through 7b Northeast. I read the label and it says wtaer
lily. Has grass like stuff that grows straight up with shoots of small
white lily type flowers. Should i cut away all foilage left on them,then
sink'em? Thanks........

=========================
It doesn't sound like a water lily. They don't have anything grasslike to
speak of. Water lilies are usually at least 18" below the surface and have
large floating leaves that lie flat on the water's surface. The flowers
don't resemble lily flowers but are more round or ball-like. It may be
mislabeled or misnamed. I wish I could be of more help.

Old 21-11-2005, 05:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"paul" wrote in message
Ok, but as for the rest of the plants. Is it best to sink them to the
bottom?

============================
You said you're in zones 2a through 7b Northeast. I don't understand how
you can be in several zones or do you mean you have a pond in each zone? In
zone 2a I would put them deeper in the pond so the pots don't freeze over
the winter. In zone 7b they should do fine where they spend the summers.
I'm in zone 6 and don't put anything in deeper water.

Old 21-11-2005, 10:50 AM posted to rec.ponds,bionet.plants
koi-lo

paul wrote:
Hi, I have list pond plants i'd like over winter. How should i do it.

I Have: Ogan Sweet Flog
Purple Pickerweed
Rain Lily
Water Loosestrife and i have some parrots feather floating
around with some 4 leaf clover. Thank You..

You kill them all and get new ones in the spring!

CR________

Old 22-11-2005, 07:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"paul" wrote in message
. ..
Ok, I'm in the northeast. Winters can to around 0 deg..thanks

=======================
To be on the safe side drop them lower in the pond then. Make sure to pull
them up around your last frost date, whatever that may be in your area.
Here in zone 6 it's April 15th. Find a zone map and see exactly which zone
you're in. In zone 6 which is large, you need not sink the truly hardy
plants.

Old 25-11-2005, 10:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

"paul" wrote in message

Paul, is this your rain lily?
http://www.yuccado.com/collections/r...collection.htm