Old 23-11-2005, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Michael Shaffer

Default Leave water hyacinth?

The first frost killed all my water hyacinth, should I leave them or
could the rotting be bad for my Koi?
Old 23-11-2005, 01:38 AM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

Michael Shaffer wrote:

The first frost killed all my water hyacinth, should I leave them or
could the rotting be bad for my Koi?

I don't think it will harm the koi, but it will polute the water, burden
the filter, and could trigger an algae bloom.

To leave it in would be like throwing in a bucket of compost.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 23-11-2005, 01:43 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
The first frost killed all my water hyacinth, should I leave them or could
the rotting be bad for my Koi?

========================
It can't be good for them. Why leave a mass of rotting vegetation in the
pond when they're so easily removed? Just net them and toss them on the
compost heap or under the shrubs.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 23-11-2005, 03:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

If the growth buds don't freeze solid, some will survive. We cover the
hyacinth pond with plastic and the surface does not ice over. We strip the
dead leaves in the spring and toss the mushy, dead hyacinths. About half
generally survive here in Jackson, MS. Those that are frozen solid die.

Jim

Old 25-11-2005, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
The first frost killed all my water hyacinth, should I leave them or could
the rotting be bad for my Koi?

For anything to rot it requires oxygen, therefore rotting vegetation in
water is getting its oxygen from??? and koi get their oxygen from??? Bad
water is bad for koi, get the rotting WH, an anything else, out of your koi
pond. ~ jan