Old 19-03-2003, 03:32 AM
John Rutz

Default re interesting result

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
John, My barrels had several inches at the bottom, and the 3 in-line kiddie
pools had up to 2" of muck (least in the 3rd). Even the pond at the base of
the U-shaped falls has muck in it. I am slowing the flow this year in the 3
x 8 long veggie filter to see if the hyacinth roots will catch the muck. I
will go with the 45-minutes-to-get-through rule. Water goes in one end and
exits at the top of the other end. The veggie filters take about 25 minutes
each for the water to pass through (based on how long it takes for the pool
to fill. They all drain from the bottom into 2" pipe, so it is not a
problem.

Let us know how your new veggie bog works!

Happy spring!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"John Rutz" wrote in message

45 min? mmmmm I never timed mine but I estimate 1 min per 50 gal
barrel and 3-4 for the veggie filter
last year,,,, this year maybe 10 min to get thru the 3000 gal veggi
bog with both 2400gph pumps running, and the TT pump on
Ill definitly have to do some engiplumbin to get an accurate time i
think im close to 1x turnover in 3 hrs
Im not too worried about where the stuff settles out with the size of
my pond both pumps are in bottom of the Koi pond and pull a lot from
there and put it somewhere else( all my plumbing is inside the pond
liner so leaks are no problem)
but I do worry about the fish load, and keeping the amonia etc down. and
the o2 up :-) guestimate 40-50 1-2 ft Koi now and spawning round the corner

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at: