Old 25-01-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default Around the pond

Walking around the ponds this morning I found the daffodils are up several
inches. Nothing else so far. The pansies have been blooming all winter,
right through the coldest weather. These will bloom until the heat of May
and be replaced with annuals. The water in the ponds has turned green and
there's some hair algae. This goes away as soon as the plants start to
grow. Since the water usually remains quite clear all summer I no longer
use the UV lights. KoiZyme will be added when the water stays around 60F.
We haven't seen the turtle since last fall.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 27-01-2006, 07:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Greg Cooper

Koi-lo wrote:
Walking around the ponds this morning I found the daffodils are up
several inches. Nothing else so far. The pansies have been blooming
all winter, right through the coldest weather. These will bloom until
the heat of May and be replaced with annuals. The water in the ponds
has turned green and there's some hair algae. This goes away as soon
as the plants start to grow. Since the water usually remains quite
clear all summer I no longer use the UV lights. KoiZyme will be added
when the water stays around 60F. We haven't seen the turtle since last
fall.

Cool - we dont get a lot of ice and snow but it is too early to see much
gowth from the bulbs yet. The fish are out and visible on the nicer
days though :-)
Old 27-01-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

=========
Cool - we dont get a lot of ice and snow but it is too early to see much
gowth from the bulbs yet. The fish are out and visible on the nicer days
though :-)

=========
We had a warm spell here but the older fish stayed inactive on the bottom.
The tank of fingerlings were active and swimming around. I fed them a few
times. The difference in sizes between them is startling! They range from
only 1" to about 7" in length. They'll be a year old in April. I'm anxious
to get the season started......... :-)
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952