Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

Default Any dis/advantage to cutting the runners on the Water Hyacinths

I put a bunch of WH in the indoor pond when I brought the fish in from the
cold. I started out with about half a pond full of WH. A few weeks into the
experiment I checked the nutrients and everything was reading zero (N02,
N03, P04, etc.) The WH were doing OK,but not thriving. So I started dosing
N03, P04 and Iron every week. Now I've got more WH than pond, I have to pull
out a few WH each day to make a feeding hole. The WH are definitely
multiplying, although the roots could look a little better, proably the mid
60s water temps.

I've been dead heading the decaying leaves, trying to reduce the DOCs and
giving me a bit more room. I've also been breaking off the established
runners, allowing me to squeeze in a few more plants. So I was wondering
what purpose the runners serve, other than reproduction? Although it will be
a moot point very soon, as I will be forced to cull the herd.

Was I taken advantage of? C Gardening 7 26-09-2006 04:32 PM
Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside? Mud Ponds 10 13-12-2005 04:33 PM
Learning to put rabbits to advantage Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 25-01-2005 02:57 PM
UV sterilizer - Advantage UV 2000 Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM