Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
AngrieWoman

Default Filter Design 101 Question

Thanks to all of you who post pictures - you've helped me immensely already.

I'm trying to design a little veggie filter for my little pond. It seems to
me that I will need to pump the water into the bottom then have it flow from
a fitting near the top in order to get it to filter through the media.

Is that right? I've looked at several sets of plans but they all look to me
like they have the water coming in the top and flowing out the bottom. It
seems like that would make it hard to keep the tub filled with an amount of
water suitable for the plants.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

AngrieWoman wrote:
Thanks to all of you who post pictures - you've helped me immensely already.

I'm trying to design a little veggie filter for my little pond. It seems to
me that I will need to pump the water into the bottom then have it flow from
a fitting near the top in order to get it to filter through the media.

Is that right? I've looked at several sets of plans but they all look to me
like they have the water coming in the top and flowing out the bottom. It
seems like that would make it hard to keep the tub filled with an amount of
water suitable for the plants.

My veggie filter fills from one end then the water flows
though the plants and out the other end. I thought this
was standard for veggie filters.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
AngrieWoman wrote:

[...]

when i had mine they filed from the bottom and flowed out an outlet at
the top ( the downflow didnt work for me ) there are some examples of
all my different filter designs on my website below ,I think there is
one similar to bonnies too
maybe one will give you an idea

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 29-05-2003, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"AngrieWoman" wrote in message
news
Thanks to all of you who post pictures - you've helped me immensely
already.

I'm trying to design a little veggie filter for my little pond. It seems

me that I will need to pump the water into the bottom then have it flow

from
a fitting near the top in order to get it to filter through the media.

Is that right? I've looked at several sets of plans but they all look to

me
like they have the water coming in the top and flowing out the bottom. It
seems like that would make it hard to keep the tub filled with an amount

of
water suitable for the plants.

I think I can safely say, I have the simplest VF on the group. I built a
second pond, that is only 8-14 inches deep. The water is fed into the VF at
one end by a pipe attached to the bottom drain in the pond, so my VF is
gravity fed. My pump sits at the far end of the VF and pumps the water back
to the pond. No large matter stuff gets to my pump because the Veggies grab
them as they go by. One pipe in...one out...water level auto-maintained by
gravity (tm).

BV.

Old 29-05-2003, 04:56 PM
AngrieWoman

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message
I think I can safely say, I have the simplest VF on the group. I built

second pond, that is only 8-14 inches deep. The water is fed into the VF

at
one end by a pipe attached to the bottom drain in the pond, so my VF is
gravity fed. My pump sits at the far end of the VF and pumps the water

back
to the pond. No large matter stuff gets to my pump because the Veggies

grab
them as they go by. One pipe in...one out...water level auto-maintained by
gravity (tm).

Disclaimer: I am entirely mechanically impaired, and am surprised that I am
actually even going to attempt this. OK? Now -

My pond is only a little bigger than yours. About 3' round, by 3' deep max.
I have 2 levels of plant shelves dug around the interior, so the 3' depth is
really not accurate. I only dug the middle that deep so that my fish (who
don't live there yet) can sink down when the raccoons come. I read that here
.

Is your filter actually in the pond, with the intake from the pump extended
to the drain? Interesting - I hadn't thought of moving the pump. I kind of
like that, but I'll have to think about it - I'm not sure that will work
for me, only because my pond gets a of tree stuff in it, and I can't picture
how I would be able to insure that the supply line would be kept free of
leaves.

FWIW, I am trying to do an exterior filter which can double as a shallow
pool for my birds to drink from and bathe in.

If I can pump water in to the bottom, then I'll be a happy camper. When I
think about running the water from end to end, I have a picture of water
either running over the top of my holding tank or not reaching the top in a
manner sufficient to keep the plants healthy. Of course, that was before I
saw the pictures of the stand pipe.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"AngrieWoman" wrote in message
thlink.net...
snip
[...]

My main pond is nearly 2500 gallons or so...rough estimate. My VF is about
500 or so, or at least it will be when I am done with it. I need to redig a
few areas. I tossed together a quick diagram and posted it,
http://www.darofamily.com/jeff/links...pond_diag.gif. My apologies for
the kindergarten look...I am at work and have only MS Paint to work with, so
the graphic is lame. I think it explains my setup though.

I went with this plan because I wanted a bottom drain. I don't want to have
to clean a 4' deep pond every year. I am hoping the muck gets pulled into
the VF. I don't mind cleaning that out. Right now I am getting a lot of
sediment in the VF. I have no idea how the main pond is because I have a
clay problem that prevents me from seeing more then a foot down.

Hope this helps.

BV.

Old 29-05-2003, 09:44 PM
AngrieWoman

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message

My main pond is nearly 2500 gallons or so...rough estimate. My VF is about
500 or so, or at least it will be when I am done with it. I need to redig

few areas. I tossed together a quick diagram and posted it,
http://www.darofamily.com/jeff/links...pond_diag.gif. My apologies

for
the kindergarten look...I am at work and have only MS Paint to work with,

so
the graphic is lame. I think it explains my setup though.

You drew that just for me? Thanks a zillion! I see exactly how it works.

Bottom drain, eh? Actually, that's probably what I need. That will probably
be next years fix though.

Old 29-05-2003, 09:56 PM
zookeeper

BenignVanilla wrote:
My main pond is nearly 2500 gallons or so...rough estimate. My VF is about
500 or so, or at least it will be when I am done with it. I need to redig a
few areas. I tossed together a quick diagram and posted it,
http://www.darofamily.com/jeff/links...pond_diag.gif. My apologies for
the kindergarten look...I am at work and have only MS Paint to work with, so
the graphic is lame. I think it explains my setup though.

I went with this plan because I wanted a bottom drain. I don't want to have
to clean a 4' deep pond every year. I am hoping the muck gets pulled into
the VF. I don't mind cleaning that out. Right now I am getting a lot of
sediment in the VF. I have no idea how the main pond is because I have a
clay problem that prevents me from seeing more then a foot down.

BV, is the pump in the VF higher than the intake in that pond? (Your VF
is 8-14" deep - is the filter at the deep or shallow end?) Inquiring
minds! ;-)
--
zookeeper

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"zookeeper" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

Currently my VF does not have a shallow end or deep. It is just a mottled
mass of different depths. I had hoped the differing depths would cause fall
out, but I won't know until I drain it this weekend. I plan to dig a few
areas deeper. Right now the fill line, and the pump sit in nearly the same
depth, although the pump might be slightly lower, not sure. The key thing,
is that the VF is gravity fed because the feed line is below the surface
level of the main pond. So my VF always has water.

BV.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"AngrieWoman" wrote in message
thlink.net...
snip
You drew that just for me? Thanks a zillion! I see exactly how it works.

snip

Glad I could help.

BV.