Old 13-03-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default UV Sterilizer

Does anyone have suggestions on which sterilizers are good or which ones to
stay away from? Thanks

Old 14-03-2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.ponds
2pods

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
Does anyone have suggestions on which sterilizers are good or which ones
to stay away from? Thanks

I now use Hozelock Bioforce filters with inbuilt UVs (2200UV and 4500UV),
but they they also do seperate UVs which I thought were good when I had
them.

Peter

Old 15-03-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds

I have a custom UV that is extremely effective in small ponds and
aquariums. I have been using this sterilizer for 12 years now on my
maintenance route.
http://americanaquariumproducts.com/UVSterilizers.html

Old 15-03-2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.ponds
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Thanks for the replies but I need a sterilizer not a clarifier. Anymore
suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 15-03-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We use a tetra pond UV for our 3900 gal pond. Works fine

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 15-03-2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a custom UV that is extremely effective in small ponds and
aquariums. I have been using this sterilizer for 12 years now on my
maintenance route.
http://americanaquariumproducts.com/UVSterilizers.html

Wish I'd seen that last week.. I already ordered a uv sterilizer last week.
Mine was also 15 watt, and was $79, but at least I got free shipping, so the
price was probably the same as your in the end.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 15-03-2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:15:56 -0500, Jeff & Kathy Brown wrote:

Thanks for the replies but I need a sterilizer not a clarifier. Anymore
suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks again.

To sterilize with UV you need about 1 watt for every 10 gallons and
need to cycle the water through it about once an hour. This is why they
are usually used as clarifiers in ponds. They cause the green algae to
clump together and then they can be filtered out.

There are a lot sold as sterilizers for ponds but they are so
underpowered that they won't make an impact on bacteria.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 15-03-2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.ponds

you dont need a sterilizer unless you are putting this on a drinking water system
with very clear water. there is no way in an open system that you can sterilize the
water anyway.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:15:56 -0500, Jeff & Kathy Brown wrote:
Thanks for the replies but I need a sterilizer not a clarifier.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 15-03-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
you dont need a sterilizer unless you are putting this on a drinking water system
with very clear water. there is no way in an open system that you can sterilize the
water anyway.

The goal is not sterile water, obviouslu that's a non-starter. The goal is
to kill as many algae cells suspended in the water as possible. Even if you're
an optimal aquarist in the Dupla sense of the work a UV sterilizer helps and
makes the most crystal clear water you've ever seen. It probably won't do this
in a pond, but it'll get you closer.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 16-03-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds

he SAID to sterilize the water. I cant say whether he meant that or not, but there
ARE pond people believe their UV is killing the cooties, not just the algae. and
killing algae can be done with cheap low watt units that simply rough up the exterior
of the algae cause it to clump and get removed by a filter. I get rid of the algae
in my pond in 24 hours with a cheap and OLD UV, I dont bother changing "the bulb"
until the whole unit falls apart. and it has always cleared the algae just fine.
Ingrid

(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
you dont need a sterilizer unless you are putting this on a drinking water system
with very clear water. there is no way in an open system that you can sterilize the
water anyway.

The goal is not sterile water, obviouslu that's a non-starter. The goal is
to kill as many algae cells suspended in the water as possible. Even if you're
an optimal aquarist in the Dupla sense of the work a UV sterilizer helps and
makes the most crystal clear water you've ever seen. It probably won't do this
in a pond, but it'll get you closer.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 16-03-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.ponds
Jeff & Kathy Brown

It's the algae but mostly the "cooties" that I want to manage. Thanks
wrote in message
he SAID to sterilize the water. I cant say whether he meant that or not,
but there
ARE pond people believe their UV is killing the cooties, not just the
algae. and
killing algae can be done with cheap low watt units that simply rough up
the exterior
of the algae cause it to clump and get removed by a filter. I get rid of
the algae
in my pond in 24 hours with a cheap and OLD UV, I dont bother changing
"the bulb"
until the whole unit falls apart. and it has always cleared the algae
just fine.
Ingrid

(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
you dont need a sterilizer unless you are putting this on a drinking
water system
with very clear water. there is no way in an open system that you can
sterilize the
water anyway.

The goal is not sterile water, obviouslu that's a non-starter. The goal is
to kill as many algae cells suspended in the water as possible. Even if
you're
an optimal aquarist in the Dupla sense of the work a UV sterilizer helps
and
makes the most crystal clear water you've ever seen. It probably won't do
this
in a pond, but it'll get you closer.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.

Old 17-03-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.ponds

difficult to impossible to kill the cooties. they are larger and have good DNA
repair mechanisms cause they are eucaryotes. algae is not killed by regular UV
either.
If fish are healthy, if you can keep bird shit out of the pond, if you dont introduce
new fish into the pond without extensive quarantine, if the water is kept in great
shape then the few cooties around are good cause they continue to challenge the
immune system of the fish. Ingrid

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote:

It's the algae but mostly the "cooties" that I want to manage. Thanks

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 17-03-2006, 03:47 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
algae is not killed by regular UV either.

I'm not certain what you mean by this. It's a very accepted practice with
fishtanks to keep ssupended algae out of the water column by UV sterilization;
it makes for the most crystal clear water ever seen.

Most cloudy water in a fishtank is supended felamentous algae. In a dark
room shine a flashlight sideways through it and you can see the tiny filaments
with the naked eye. The water appears slighly yellowish, bt not green until
it gets really bad.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 18-03-2006, 05:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

the mechanism isnt "death"... it roughs up the surface of the algae which then clump
together and are removed by filtration. filtration must occur or the nutrients go
right back into the water after being broken down. Ingrid

(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
algae is not killed by regular UV either.

I'm not certain what you mean by this. It's a very accepted practice with
fishtanks to keep ssupended algae out of the water column by UV sterilization;
it makes for the most crystal clear water ever seen.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at