Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Pond Website

"Bob" wrote in message
You have about the same type soil as I do in North Alabama from the looks

of
it. My large pond is 1/3 of an acre in size and the visibility goes from
inches to a couple of feet depending on the time of the year. Suggest you
check out www.pondboss.com and go to the section "Ask The Boss" there is

alot
of information on controlling string algae and water clarity in ponds like
yours and mine. You can see my construction pics at the link below. I

feed
about 4000 gallons of water a day from my well but fortunatly it is only

45 ft
deep.

This is going to sound like dig, but it's not I swear, really! In MD, we
have many years of drought to the point where we end up with water
restrictions by mid summer. Isn't it wasteful to have your well constantly
feeding your pond? Aren't you afraid of running the well dry?

BV.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Bob

BenignVanilla wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Actually my well will run dry in about 6 minutes if I run it constantly. It is
set up on a level controller and will run for about 1.5 minutes then be off for
about 6 minutes. We have no problems with water here in North Alabama and my
little 4000 gallons a day is about 3 seconds for the average cotton farm
irrigation around my location! The only place in the US that I have heard of
the Govt. trying to control ground water usage was in Washington State. Most
of my losses out of the pond are back into the ground through seepage so I am
actually just recirculating the water

Bob

Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Pickmaster

Hey BV, I kind of thought that too when the well guy said to run the well
all the time--the thing is down here in Louisiana, the aquifer that feeds
the well is fed from an area about 100 miles to the north that receives
about 60 inches of rain a year, probably the same as feeds Bob's over in
Bama. I also found out that the strata that mine comes from is in between
most home wells and the deeper strata for commercial and municpal wells, so
there aren't a lot of wells at that depth. It is something that I try to
find out a lot about though. PM

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Pickmaster

Fantastic project, Bob--do you own that backhoe? If I had one full time, I
could get in a lot of trouble! Your pond is over twice as large as mine I
estimate. I am going to post some photos of a pond project near here that I
saw the other day; the guy had 2 ponds dug equaling 20 acres! PM

"Bob" wrote in message
You have about the same type soil as I do in North Alabama from the looks

of
it. My large pond is 1/3 of an acre in size and the visibility goes from
inches to a couple of feet depending on the time of the year. Suggest you
check out www.pondboss.com and go to the section "Ask The Boss" there is

alot
of information on controlling string algae and water clarity in ponds like
yours and mine. You can see my construction pics at the link below. I

feed
about 4000 gallons of water a day from my well but fortunatly it is only

45 ft
deep.

Bob in North Alabama
http://home.hiwaay.net/~n4bk/index.htm

Pickmaster wrote:

I just made this website for my pond project, which was started

November,
2001. My main problem I have been trying to solve is to get the water
clearer. It is now about a foot visibility, but I would like it to be

darker
and more reflective of the plants and trees. Also, string algae has

really
been growing like crazy this spring and I have been dipping it out with

net. Any comments or advice are appreciated.
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-marshalltown

Old 08-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Thanks for responding. Meanwhile that tidbit about them surviving now has
me stressing over the hundreds of fry I have in my nursery!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Just Me, I had six sets of baby twins - Koi twins - before I
knew it. They were 4 inches long and so pretty. Of course
three of them did not make it for whatever reason. The babies
are now 8 to 10 inches long. That is what I mean about
litely stocking your koi pond. They will fill it up on their own.

My own rather cavalier methods include having an attitude
of "if they make it fine ... if they don't that's okay too". Course
I'm a generation older than most on this NG and so it goes.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
But Koi eats Koi eggs and therefore probably no baby Koi! Unless you

remove
eggs to make babies.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"K30a" wrote in message

Koi do eat string algae but koi also make
more koi who produce more fish poo that
feeds the string alage which feeds the koi
so they can make more fish...
who poo.

k30a

Old 08-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Did you say your pond is 45' deep? That's an ocean not a lake. The Navy
Seals can do their diving training in that ocean! I'm suddenly feeling
inadequate now!

--
_______________________________________

Old 08-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Bob,
Nice! I'm green with envy.

--
_______________________________________

Old 08-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Nedra

Just Me ... I think you are talking to me? Anyway, I will
answer by saying Please don't get stressed out! That wont
help anything. I don't understand why you would want to
ensure that "hundreds of fry" survive? Where on earth - er
pond - will you put them?

Nedra

Old 09-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Actually I am getting better at loosing fish now without stressing. My
concern was not about the Frys dying, but living. I am willing to curl
them, and then sell the rest away. But the concept of feeding that many
fish for a while is not very attractive.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

rthlink.net...

Old 09-04-2003, 03:33 AM
jammer

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:32:06 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

Actually I am getting better at loosing fish now without stressing. My
concern was not about the Frys dying, but living. I am willing to curl
them, and then sell the rest away. But the concept of feeding that many
fish for a while is not very attractive.

I keep reading this...what is "curl them?"

Old 09-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I probably spelt it wrong. The act of disposing of the fish that do not
measure up to some irrational standard. OR those that may come out with
three eyes and a leg.

--
_______________________________________

Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM

LOL... cull

Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

About right now I feel intellectually inferior to Mike Tyson. I guess spell
check is no cure for ignorance. Next time I'll try to check my words first.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"jammer" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:58:02 GMT, wrote:

LOL... cull

"Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

I probably spelt it wrong. The act of disposing of the fish that do not
measure up to some irrational standard. OR those that may come out with
three eyes and a leg.

OH! Thanks

Old 09-04-2003, 06:08 AM
jammer

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 04:48:43 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

About right now I feel intellectually inferior to Mike Tyson. I guess spell
check is no cure for ignorance. Next time I'll try to check my words

If it makes you feel any better, i only asked because "curling fish"
didn't come up with much except cooking them on msn search engine....

So then i read up on culling and why and never did find a good how. I
would rather feed them to something that freeze, drop in boiling
water, throw into the garden, all kinds of gruesome suggestions. Do
you thin eggs or actually kill the fish, and if so, how? I dont work
for PETA or anything