Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Pickmaster

Default Pond Website

I just made this website for my pond project, which was started November,
2001. My main problem I have been trying to solve is to get the water
clearer. It is now about a foot visibility, but I would like it to be darker
and more reflective of the plants and trees. Also, string algae has really
been growing like crazy this spring and I have been dipping it out with a
net. Any comments or advice are appreciated.
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-marshalltown

Old 06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Mac Knight

That's a beauty, Pickmaster.

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com

Old 06-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Pickmaster

Hi to everyone and thanks for the remarks! The pond is dirt but there are a
lot of leaves and pine needles that have fallen into it since it was dug, so
maybe the bottom is somewhat buffered from the catfish in there. The catfish
are commonly called mud cats and don't grow over a foot long from what I
have read. There are also a number of koi in there, and they are really
spooky, maybe because the water isn't clearer. I have put three pots of
water lilies in; I was afraid to plant them direct in the bottom so they
wouldn't take over. I plan to build a waterfall with the flow of water from
the well, am considering trying my hand at some homemade
rocks....anyone have any luck with them?
..

Is the pond lined or dirt?
Are there any fish in the pond?

Usually we council lots of plants in ponds to help
with clear water. (Gives algae(s) some competition for nutrients.)
But you need to be able to manage the plants, which is much easier to do

in
smaller ornamental ponds.
We also advice low stocking of fish, not overfeeding fish and some way to

clean
debris out of the pond (you won't have much of that now).

If your pond is an earth pond I recommend
Earth Pond Sourcebook
by Tim Matson
and the newsgroup
misc.rural

If lined there are ways to use plants that will
not cause all that much more work. Let us know.

k30a :-)

Old 07-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Pickmaster

Here's something I was wondering also: do the Koe eat string algae? From the
looks of it, if they do, I need about 100 more Koi !

Along the edges you could try pickerel weed
or arrowhead or any number of pretty marginals
in pots.
Also lotus ---- so pretty.

The koi actually like the murkier water, they feel safer. Once the lily

pads
appear on the surface they will like to hide under them.

If you end up feeding the koi (sparingly) they will become like pigs to

the
trough. Many times it just takes one to be brave enough and then they'll

all
follow.

The leaves and pine needles will be a problem.
If you are going to run water into the pond a skimmer at the other end

will
help keep them under control. Netting that big of pond looks to be a huge

job.
Skimming it with a net would be good
exercise ;-)

k30a

Old 07-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Nedra

Pickmaster, You have created a Vision of a pond!
I would let the koi be.... they will grow to be very large
in your muddy pond. That is the technique used in Japan.
Also, they will breed and have lots of little ones for you
to worry about. I don't think I would add any more to
the mix.

The list of plants that K30 provided is a good one...
I especially like lotus as you can see from my 2nd
website below ;-)

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

"Mac Knight" wrote in message
That's a beauty, Pickmaster.

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com

Old 07-04-2003, 03:08 AM
K30a

Koi do eat string algae but koi also make
more koi who produce more fish poo that
feeds the string alage which feeds the koi
so they can make more fish...
who poo.

k30a
Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Dude,you don't have a pond, you have a lake! I bet I could launch my 19
foot wellcraft in that lake!

When I saw your lake, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Pretty!
Sweet! A PORG's dream man!

When are you going to have barbQ and invite us all to golf, and swap Koi
stories by the lake?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

But Koi eats Koi eggs and therefore probably no baby Koi! Unless you remove
eggs to make babies.

--
_______________________________________

Old 07-04-2003, 04:44 AM
K30a

Just Me wrote But Koi eats Koi eggs and therefore probably no baby Koi!
Unless you remove
eggs to make babies.

Here they don't eat near enough!

k30a
Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Pickmaster

40 Rogers on the Bar-B-Q ! It is turning out nice after looking like some 4
wheelers had a mud-out--- We had a winter down here (about 30 miles north of
New Orleans) with steady wet cold and I have been straining my budget on
plants with azaelas, dogwood, water lillies, but I figure now is the time to
do it. I actually do have a little plastic boat I paddle around to position
different things out there, but outboards would be pushing it.... One
thing about the lack of visibility, those herons are stymied somewhat.

Old 07-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Nedra

Just Me, I had six sets of baby twins - Koi twins - before I
knew it. They were 4 inches long and so pretty. Of course
three of them did not make it for whatever reason. The babies
are now 8 to 10 inches long. That is what I mean about
litely stocking your koi pond. They will fill it up on their own.

My own rather cavalier methods include having an attitude
of "if they make it fine ... if they don't that's okay too". Course
I'm a generation older than most on this NG and so it goes.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Old 07-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Pickmaster

Thanks, Mac & Merri, enjoyed the pictures of your crystal clear ponds and
that is a wonderful website you have....

"Mac Knight" wrote in message
That's a beauty, Pickmaster.

Mac Knight
http://www.macknight.addr.com

Old 07-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Bob

You have about the same type soil as I do in North Alabama from the looks of
it. My large pond is 1/3 of an acre in size and the visibility goes from
inches to a couple of feet depending on the time of the year. Suggest you
check out www.pondboss.com and go to the section "Ask The Boss" there is alot
of information on controlling string algae and water clarity in ponds like
yours and mine. You can see my construction pics at the link below. I feed
about 4000 gallons of water a day from my well but fortunatly it is only 45 ft
deep.

Bob in North Alabama
http://home.hiwaay.net/~n4bk/index.htm