Old 03-04-2006, 07:47 AM posted to free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds
Steve

Default Aeration plants

Hi,
Last summer (here in the UK), I built a pond and put in some fish and some
aeration plants. They were strands of green plants about 9 inches in
length. They used to just float on top of the water, but over the winter
they have sunk and somehow multiplied into what can only be described as a
cloud of green candy floss! The frogs seem to like it though as they've
laid quite a bit of frogspawn (and the fish don't seem too bothered (not
that I've seen them most of winter (I assume this is giving them somewhere
safe to hide from cats etc.)))

Is this cloud of green candy floss safe for the fish? If I get rid of some
of it, will it impact the fish and/or frogspawn? Also, we're a bit
concerned that our garden will be swamped (excuse the pun!) with frogs when
they hatch. We don't mind a few frogs, but we don't want millions of 'em!
Is it safe to leave the frog-spawn or get rid of some of it?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Old 03-04-2006, 02:22 PM posted to free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds

that is hair algae, not aeration plants and right now it is also removing wastes from
the pond. I wouldnt remove it until the other plants and filters get going. frog
eggs and tads are good food for fish. or, you might want to drag some of the algae
and eggs out. Ingrid

"Steve" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 03-04-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Last summer (here in the UK), I built a pond and put in some fish and some
aeration plants. They were strands of green plants about 9 inches in
length. snipped for brevity

Is this cloud of green candy floss safe for the fish? If I get rid of some
of it, will it impact the fish and/or frogspawn? Also, we're a bit
concerned that our garden will be swamped (excuse the pun!) with frogs when
they hatch. We don't mind a few frogs, but we don't want millions of 'em!
Is it safe to leave the frog-spawn or get rid of some of it? Steve

IMO, I'd just hang on as see what happens. Once the taddies start swimming,
if it seems like too many, I'd net them out and put them in their own
container perhaps.

Last year when my taddies looked big enough not to be eaten I put some of
the small fantails back in. They were about the same size or smaller than
largest taddie. Was I ever floored when I saw a fantail sucked down a
taddie not much smaller than it was. Luckily taddies can swim much faster
than a fantail, but even so, within 1-2 weeks those goldfish had doubled in
size. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 05-04-2006, 08:22 PM posted to free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds

Please be aware that only 2% of the frogs will survive to breed. They are
also very useful against slugs and snails, especially if you put little
piles of wood around the garden for them to hide in.

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup

Old 06-04-2006, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 20:22:25 +0100, wrote:

Please be aware that only 2% of the frogs will survive to breed. They are
also very useful against slugs and snails, especially if you put little
piles of wood around the garden for them to hide in.

Fur sure, and will you please come offer a great sum of money to my frog
disliking neighbors for their house, and move in? I caught 7 last night
(thought it was 6, but turned out to be 7), didn't even make a dent in the
volume, so I'll have to go out again tonight. S The weather is misty,
perfect for Frogstock. I sleep so well to the music, but my neighbor.....

Anyway, when I got them to the demo pond today, in the light, I was
surprised by the different colors and patterns on them. As far as I know
they are all Pacific tree frogs. Pretty cool. ~ jan

Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 PM posted to free.uk.nature.ponds,rec.ponds
Steve

Many thanks everyone! Much appreciated.
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Best airstones/diffusers for aeration? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 11-06-2005 06:21 PM
Aeration vs Dethatch help John Lawns 3 14-05-2003 06:08 PM
Aeration Gene Moon Lawns 5 27-04-2003 03:45 AM
Is more aeration required? Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
[IBC] Soil, Pots, and Aeration? Brent Walston Bonsai 0 01-03-2003 07:28 PM